Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... so I am on vacation in Southern California, and my father in law recently bought a Rubicon and a new car trailer... I was helping him with getting some chains or straps and getting this thing secured on the trailer. I am used to full sized chevys where I always tie them down by the axles w/ chains and binders. On this Jeep there is minimal to no room on the rear axle to get a chain around it... so how are you guys securing your TJ's to the trailer? He has some nice shackles off the rear bumper that would work, but I am just not a big fan of going above the suspension for tying somethign down. On the front there is plenty of room around the axle.... so if we do the axle on the front, what are you guys doing with the rear?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you can sling the chain UNDER the axle tube and OVER the front of the center section then back UNDER the opposite tube eh? that's how i do mine cept just the reverse up front. just miss the brake lines:flipoff2:

·
Registered
510 Posts
First off, this is going to get ugly because everyone has an opinion on how to strap a Jeep to a trailer.

I use T-hooks and 10,000 lbs straps. I put the T-Hooks in the factory frame holes on each corner. I did not like strapping to the axles because I got a lot of movement with the Jeep.

T-Hook:

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
First off, this is going to get ugly because everyone has an opinion on how to strap a Jeep to a trailer.

I use T-hooks and 10,000 lbs straps. I put the T-Hooks in the factory frame holes on each corner. I did not like strapping to the axles because I got a lot of movement with the Jeep.

T-Hook:
I also use the "T Hook" at each corner and use one 10,000 lbs strap at each corner, plus one 5,000 lbs come a long as a safety strap. I have used axle staps, but I didn't like the body roll my TJ (disconnect sway bar) had, so I switched to the "T Hooks". Northern Tool sells the "Axle straps" which would work well for you **IF** you like attaching to the axles vesus the frame. I personally do not like using my TJ bumpers as part of my tie down system. However, I do use a frame mounted tow hook as an attachment for my "chicken strap" a.k.a. as a safety strap (5,000 lb come a long used as my 5th tie down point).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I strap mine around the axles as well. I have found set of 2in wide straps that go around the axle in 4 places and work great. I will say I love using the j hooks and t-hooks. If you are using the j hooks use a backup. I tow vehicles on a trailer daily and have had a winch cable go slack on 2 occasions and the j hook jump off what it was attached to. I have never lost a T hook they stay in the frame where you put them and sometimes ya cannot get them out after you put thm in without a bunch of fenaggling.

I hook to the axles because I don't like compressing the suspension to hold the jeep down. With an f-250 and a 14,000gvw trailer I don't feel much body roll on the little jeep.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I strap mine down on the axles. I bought a strap kit from Poly Performance. It comes with 4 straps and a nice storage bag. I have a TJ with custom axles so I have even less room. I don't have any pictures but I can get you some of you want.

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that does axles and body. :eek:

2 straps per axle using axle straps and 2 straps per end on the body recovery points. Here is a better picture before I got my front tow hooks installed.

·
Registered
375 Posts
nice trailer nice jeep ..... 8 straps...... just plain silly.. better 8 than 1 or 2 though
Guess it depends on how much you "LOVE" your jeep. Everyone builds them overkill doesnt hurt to SECURE it to your trailer overkill if you dont want anything to happen to it. I'm in the towing and recovery business and I know what it takes to hold em down, 8 is more than plenty but it gives great peace of mind knowing that no matter what happens, your jeep will still be on the trailer when you get there :laughing:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I strap both.

Nothing wrong with a bit of overkill. Be it insurance against a busted strap, or just extra stability, it doesnt hurt anything doing the little extra.

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts
8 straps ...... and I thought my five point tie down was over kill. BTW, nice trailer. The Jeep isn't bad either (LOL). :smokin:

·
Registered
19,482 Posts
It really helps out in the ride quality as well when you don't have rigs bouncing around causing the trailer to sway. If you put 2 rigs on the trailer it gets even worse.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Trailer Guy here on the board sells a nice strap kit...four 10K ratchets, axle straps, nice storage bag...perfect!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You need to compress the suspension slightly so it doesn't sway; hence the reason for the 8 straps.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
yeah like I said .... better 8 than 1 or 2 .... btw a winch cable is NOT a safe tie down ..... that said I do have lots of experience tieing down much larger and heavier stuff than most people ever haul .... (big yellow stuff :) )
wrecker drivers are the worst with this one.... one chain and a winch...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts