Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of having my stuff moved from TN to CA and I'm curious if my offroad toy will be street legal out here... Back in the hills of east TN it was fine, but I'm sure there are some stricter regulations out here. I've got no worries about the smog test, it's still basically stock with all the cats... but what limitations are there for physical modifications on vehicles out here? I'll be living in Vacaville, halfway between Sacramento an SanFran if that matters.

It's a SAS'd truck with dual tcases and beadlocked 37's. I've got an extra set of stock-looking rims I can get some street tires for as I assume the beadlocks aren't street legal (military beadlocks, but recentered B.S.)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice rig
You are correct about the beadlocks. They are not approved for street use (although many have run them for years with no issue). Maybe there are exceptions for this, but im not aware of them.
Only thing I can see you need are mudflaps or fender flares to cover up your tires from sticking out of the body. Thats a red flag for po-po.
Every county / city is different on the enforcement of the codes.....im sure you will get some better advise on how strict things are in cow-town (vaca-ville). Could be night and day difference than the way it is here 2 hrs away.

·
Registered
346 Posts
x2 on mud flaps, and no bead locks. also what do you got for steering? no full hydro

ps. nice tow rig

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Mudflaps and call it good.

I've been pulled over numerous times with beadlocks and have not been hassled. CHP to local Folsom police. Each time it was for Mud Flaps.

If you are needing to get it inspected when you bring it in from TN to CA then I would take the beadlocks off for that, they may be more strict than the officers on the street.

·
Registered
299 Posts
First of all, damn nice lookin rig. But yeah... mud flaps for sure. Rear bumper if the "official" is being picky. They may question if it's "substantial" enough. Unfortunatly that is determined by them. And if you think you might find yourself with a DOT CHP, good luck and don't overlook the basics. Lisence plate light, blinkers, horn, etc. Believe it or not, there is a law regarding how fast your blinkers can blink. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome to the area. I'm in agreement with Todd W. Throw some mud flaps on it and your probably good to go. Spend a little bit of time in the Rubicon forum section and you'll get a feel for what it takes to keep Officer Marcus off your bumper when on the Con.

Vacaville cops generally don't seem to bother modified rigs. Don't drive stupid and don't worry about it too much.

Nice Yota

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Mud flaps will be the main thing for sure, but having the tires stick out past the fenders at all could be a problem if the officer gets picky. Most of our rigs aren't exactly "legal" but as long as it looks like you are trying and using common sense you usually won't get hassled.

Another thing you will need if you don't have it already is a front license plate. The traffic cameras need to be able to identify you when you're running red lights. :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
x2 on mud flaps, and no bead locks. also what do you got for steering? no full hydro

ps. nice tow rig
Steering is up in the air. Right now it's stock, but with a minispool up front I found out real quick stock steering is near useless when locked in. It's a pain when just riding on the trails, but doing anything on the rocks like rattlerock at coalcreek back in TN was brutal.

I have plans for hydro-assist if I am close to being street legal or just going full hydro if I can't get close. The D44 in the front didn't last 24 hrs of first-time-babying-it wheeling without snapping a chromo shaft, so I've got a 60 I'm working on building up.

As for the tow rig, it's the only option the relocation company could come up with... to wide to fit inside of a trailer with all my household goods, too tall to fit in a normal tractor trailer car carrier, and too expensive to hire a small flatbed truck to drive it all the way out. I'm assuming he's gonna pick up an extra car or two on the way out, hehe.

Another thing you will need if you don't have it already is a front license plate. The traffic cameras need to be able to identify you when you're running red lights. :p
Well, the technicality of when I become a CA resident is still up in the air. I'm renting a house, so no tax claims and I haven't voted on anything... according to the DMV, I could technically be considered a visitor indefinitely (from the way I read it), especially until I sell my house in TN. And until I am licensed in CA, I don't have to register my vehicles in CA either by the way I read it... hehe. The ability of my Silverado 2500 to pass smog inspection will play a big part in which way I go with residence.

One other question... I have 2 dash lights on for ABS (went away with axle replacements) and airbags (removed sensors) - will this cause an issue for inspection?

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
ca requiers flares if the tire sticks 2" out of te fender. you will get hit for the mud flaps.

you must have a rear plate light as it is the #1 reason vvpd uses to stop you.

you will need to have bumpers and you will have to have a front license plate.

the beadlock thing has been beat to death, in 10 years, i have yet to hear of someone getting popped for beadlocks, i have had h1's for 2 years now with no issues.

i lived in vv for 27years, i have never had a vehicle equipment related ticket, for the most part vvpd is only worried about busting drunks and red light runners.

there are other things they can bust your rig for like the frame being to high from the ground for its weight class, again i have never heard of anyone getting popped for it but its on the books.

there are all types of rigs in vv and many are way taller than yours.

the one area you will be most likely get hit is on 505 between vv and winters.

once you are in vv be sure to hit up mixcanyonbob/ bob at ace hardware.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
The D44 in the front didn't last 24 hrs of first-time-babying-it wheeling without snapping a chromo shaft,
Let me guess, YUKON chromo? That's because their d44 shafts are junk. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd double check the 2" thing. I've been pulled over by many a local PD, CHP, and a sheriff or two. Never once have they given a specific distance out. Matter of fact, my buddy just recently got a ticket for this. Less than an inch of tire sticking out. 85 toy, stock narrow rear, inset 8" wheels and 12.50's with very minimal side lugs. TRXUS swampers to be exact.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
dat be a nissan
I'm a Jeep guy, I have an excuse :flipoff2:

Dude has a nice looking rig just the same.:smokin:

I'd double check the 2" thing. I've been pulled over by many a local PD, CHP, and a sheriff or two. Never once have they given a specific distance out. Matter of fact, my buddy just recently got a ticket for this. Less than an inch of tire sticking out. 85 toy, stock narrow rear, inset 8" wheels and 12.50's with very minimal side lugs. TRXUS swampers to be exact.

Resqme posted something regarding mud flaps up awhile back in the Rubicon forum. I couldn't find it specific but did see this while searching. I think it's the same thing he posted before.

If you plan on heading up to the Rubicon, spend some time in the Rubicon forum to learn the ticket/no ticket information.

California Vehicle Code (CVC) 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be AT LEAST AS WIDE AS THE TIRE TREAD. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me guess, YUKON chromo? That's because their d44 shafts are junk. :p

Indeed, I had to find that out first hand. Granted, I also blew up my rear driveshaft yoke and snapped my rear antiwrap bar in two all in one big bang at the same time as the yukon stub... Driving around with just the front right wheel with power isn't all that useful, lol.

I'm still waiting on 2 short shafts from the "lifetime warantee" horsehockey. I'm not the light feathery-throttle type of guy though, when I can't make it up something, I just hit it harder and faster. I'm thinking a D60 will handle the abuse a lot better.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If you keep your TN plates, you might not get hassled. I used to drive my Sami around with Idaho plates with the 35s sticking almost completely out past the fenders with absolutely no flare. I had numerous local PD and CHPs pass by me with not so much as a look. I had no mudflaps either. You may however get pulled over if they see you around a lot and notice you haven't changed to CA plates.
Travis..

·
Registered
146 Posts
there you have it, just don't drive in the rain or mud and your exempt from mud flaps!:D

here in california we don't give a rats ass about safety, just the smog check. your car can have no brakes, no glass, bald tires, worn ball joints, bailing wire holding the tie rod on and there is no worries. :shaking: Oh and don't forget, a minimum insurace policy of 15k liability!

you better check the gun laws here very carefully. they are like no other state. they care about guns alot here. they don't want tax payers getting any crazy ideas!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you a military transfer? If so, keep your home residence, TN or whatever and don't get CA plates. If not, and you're just moving here, you need to change over your registration and DL within 30 days.

I've been a cop for over 8 yrs and have yet to find any law that says you can't run beadlocks on the street..... Feel free to look here and see if you can find it..... http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

I'd suggest mudflaps to be on the safe side down that way, but up here only guys running Jeeps, Toyotas and Samis with full width axles really have anything to worry about.

I doubt you'd get hassled for it, but you should also have a rear bumper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts