Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with 6.17 gears or lower? I have always heard that the pinions are weak, but have never heard of anyone breaking one. I am debating putting 7.17's in my rig, but I don't want breakage prone parts. Rig weighs 4000-4500 lbs., 350 SBC, Atlas II, D60, D70HD, 42's, hummer beadlocks. Yes, I searched.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
764 Posts
some guys in Fl run 2 wheel drives with bad isass 460's and 7.17's with 44's on back. haven't seen them break yet.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I ran 39 boggers on a 7000lb Chevy with a big block and 7.17 in a front 60 and 7.17 rear 70. I did rip the ring teeth off the front 60 in about one very abusive year, Didnt hurt the 70 7.17s. They were correctly set up. MY OPINION is if the gears are set up right the ring gear will fail first. I was shock loading mine. I would crack about 4-5 teeth in a row here and there. We decided that I exceeded the use of Dana gears and needed to go to a race type Richmond gear.

It is bothersome looking at the undercut pinion but it did hold.

Go for it! Dan

·
Newb
3,129 Posts
For the record...

I've rode with and watched Dan wheel... **shudder** EVERYTHING on his truck should have been broken. If a part lasts more than one weekend on his ride, it's good stuff.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yes, this is a thread dig given that the last post was nearly 9 years ago, but that is 9 additional years of data and experience to pull from. Also, this shows that I did search.

That said, my truck will weigh close to if not over 7K pounds when all is said and done. The way I am building this truck and the way I plan to wheel it necessitates the need for 7.17 gears. I will be running these in D70HDs front and rear.

Are these gears still run with acceptable success in heavy trucks with power and big tires?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Yes, this is a thread dig given that the last post was nearly 9 years ago, but that is 9 additional years of data and experience to pull from. Also, this shows that I did search.

7.17 gears. I will be running these in D70HDs front and rear.

Are these gears still run with acceptable success in heavy trucks with power and big tires?
Good job on da sirch...

Dana70HD F/R. You'll be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts