Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
All my frineds bought in to the rockwell thing and the do nothing but snap shafts.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
the last 4 months i have broken the short side inner shaft on my rear axle(its a front) on every trip out..i have just about exhausted my spare reserves. once i do i will be stepping up to 2" stuff..i wheeled all last year with 44's, and about 300hp, and beat the hell out of the buggy with no axle breakage..this year i stepped up to 49's and about 100 extra HP..first 5 months the rocks took the abuse, but here lately i've been cautious just putting it on the trailer to go wheeling..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
the last 4 months i have broken the short side inner shaft on my rear axle(its a front) on every trip out..i have just about exhausted my spare reserves. once i do i will be stepping up to 2" stuff..i wheeled all last year with 44's, and about 300hp, and beat the hell out of the buggy with no axle breakage..this year i stepped up to 49's and about 100 extra HP..first 5 months the rocks took the abuse, but here lately i've been cautious just putting it on the trailer to go wheeling..

Talking about something coming back from the dead....
Fl-Krawler's post is exactly what I was talking about nearly 4 years ago..Axleshaft failure on rig weighing 5800 pounds with 49 inch tires, beating the piss out of it. At this point stock shaft failure is not a question;but, inevitable.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
Everything has its limits. FL-Krawler, put a d60 in the rear of your rig and see how well it holds up! I bet if you got o Ouverson 2" shafts you'll start breaking something else.

J. J.

·
Registered
733 Posts
A Rockwell shaft is not that strong stock but how many times have you heard of a broken r and p even with 2"ers.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm still curious where that magic number is where stock shafts start breaking. I wanted to pick up some 49's to run, but was worried about breaking stuff with my V8 in the rocks... even though the YJ is still fairly light. I have a feeling I will be above the breakage curve with my 42 Irok's, probably not seeing much breakage if any, but at the cost of ground clearance. But then again, I haven't mounted everything up... hopefully with the mohawking, this ground clearance issue becomes a non-issue.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
Once you mohawk a rockwell the clearance is somewhere better than a d60 and slightly worse than a d44. You wouldn't worry about clearance with 42's and a 60, and especially not 42's and a d44. So what are you worried about with the rockwell?

I've got 42's on my rockwell. Never have been denied due to ground clearance. I'm thinking about 44's just for the badd-ass-ness. My buggy is probably about as light as they come with rockwells though. I don't worry about shafts either. I guess that may be because I have Ouverson shafts int he rear and a spare set for the front. But I pound on the bitch pretty damn hard.

J. J.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The stock shafts are pretty strong, I never even twisted the splines in mine, let alone break them, and I had 49's, a big block, and an 8500 lbs rig, but I am sure that over time the shafts would eventually give out, I cant see anyone having a problem with the stock 16 spline ouverson replacement shafts, far superior to stock, and doesnt he offer a warranty with them? dont remember that part :shaking:

but as far as numbers go, I dont ever remember seeing anything about actual breakage numbers, on either side

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
Back when I was buying my 16-spline Ouverson shafts I asked him if anyone had ever broken any of his shafts. (I'll ask his forgiveness in advance if he told me this in confidence, but I only say it here because I see it as a testament to his quality and workmanship.) He said that two shafts, out of over 1000 sets sold, of the 16-spliners had ever even twisted. They were both in heavy rigs with healthy big blocks and 47"+ tires under full thorttle conditions. This was about a year ago, but at that time NOT ONE 16-SPLINE OUVERSON SHAFTS HAD EVER BROKEN! Then I asked him about his 2" shafts. NO BREAKS OR TWISTS EVER in those, over 1000 sets sold!

Shortly after that, I looked up the term "bad-ass mother fucker" in the dictionary. Right after the photo of Samual L Jackson from Pulp Fiction it had an Ouverson Engineering emblem.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Once you mohawk a rockwell the clearance is somewhere better than a d60 and slightly worse than a d44. You wouldn't worry about clearance with 42's and a 60, and especially not 42's and a d44. So what are you worried about with the rockwell?
That's been my mindset when purchasing them, but like I said, I haven't even got wheels on mine yet to even measure things for myself. I have been reading through the old threads for a while now... guys like you that are actually running them and posting up, made up my mind to go for it. However, weeding through the old threads, from what I can only think are people who have never run them, had me questioning a 42 mounted up. I, for whatever reason, had in my mind that a 46", if someone made one, would be a nice height.

I've got 42's on my rockwell. Never have been denied due to ground clearance. I'm thinking about 44's just for the badd-ass-ness. My buggy is probably about as light as they come with rockwells though. I don't worry about shafts either. I guess that may be because I have Ouverson shafts int he rear and a spare set for the front. But I pound on the bitch pretty damn hard.

J. J.
The stock shafts are pretty strong, I never even twisted the splines in mine, let alone break them, and I had 49's, a big block, and an 8500 lbs rig, but I am sure that over time the shafts would eventually give out, I cant see anyone having a problem with the stock 16 spline ouverson replacement shafts, far superior to stock, and doesnt he offer a warranty with them? dont remember that part :shaking:

but as far as numbers go, I dont ever remember seeing anything about actual breakage numbers, on either side
I'll definitely be migrating to the OEM stuff, I'm just changing out so much stuff right now, that it's just out of the budget. Doesn't stop me from visiting and window shopping the website though. :p

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Everything has its limits. FL-Krawler, put a d60 in the rear of your rig and see how well it holds up! I bet if you got o Ouverson 2" shafts you'll start breaking something else.

J. J.

thats alright, i'll pass.:flipoff2:. i am in NO WAY bitching about my axles breaking... i used to drive like i was driving miss daisy, and everything held up no problem.. seems as if the more seat time i get though, the heavier my foot has gotten as well, and i am getting less and less concerned about what might happen pushing the buggy to its limits. i drive like a 'tard sometimes and i know it..

the place i normally wheel, is all algea covered limerock, that is usually damp.. it requirs ALOT of wheelspeed to get up and over some of the climbs and boulders we play on..

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Back when I was buying my 16-spline Ouverson shafts I asked him if anyone had ever broken any of his shafts. (I'll ask his forgiveness in advance if he told me this in confidence, but I only say it here because I see it as a testament to his quality and workmanship.) He said that two shafts, out of over 1000 sets sold, of the 16-spliners had ever even twisted. They were both in heavy rigs with healthy big blocks and 47"+ tires under full thorttle conditions. This was about a year ago, but at that time NOT ONE 16-SPLINE OUVERSON SHAFTS HAD EVER BROKEN! Then I asked him about his 2" shafts. NO BREAKS OR TWISTS EVER in those, over 1000 sets sold!

Shortly after that, I looked up the term "bad-ass mother fucker" in the dictionary. Right after the photo of Samual L Jackson from Pulp Fiction it had an Ouverson Engineering emblem.

J. J.
You in marketing :flipoff2:? That can be a good slogan for OEM..."almost as bad ass mother fuckers as Sam L Jackson"!

Good news on the 16 spline OEM Upgrade...that's what I plan on going for...

·
Registered
249 Posts

J. J.
I shaved my rockwell diffs, cut a 7" circle from them. On 42's I have better clearance to the diff than my cousin with 42's and a d44.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I've broken lots of stock shafts, taking out detroits, carriers, and spindles in the process, pics are of one of my favorite breaks. I'm also responsible for twisting one of Randy's 16 spline replacements, it was one of the billet machined axles before he went with the forged stuff...beautiful piece of work. It wasn't easy and you can't get better product support from anybody. I've dropped his 2 inchers and mini spool in the rear and don't think its at all possible to hurt them...weak link is somewhere else. I'm working on finding where...

Attachments

·
Banned
158 Posts
Good news on the 16 spline OEM Upgrade...that's what I plan on going for...
That's what i will do, replace shafts with ouverson 16 spline replacements IF they break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
steel strength

You can take a piece of steel and stress a little big for a long time, or you can stress it a lot for a short time. The key is going just a hair stronger than your motor and tranny can possible stress it, and it will last litteraly forever. But I know that's no fun, let's face it it is fun to push everything to it's failure point, were all sick in the head.
Late
sandman69

21 - 40 of 53 Posts