Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
in the words of my friend peter (and all of my friends who stole his slogan). go big, or go home.

and what the hell are you doing if you're not running balls to the wall at all times? i can answer that, you're not running rocks under your rig.

44's seem to be the magic number for stock shafts and any motor. 49's seem to be the magic number for ouverson 16 splines and whatever you want under the hood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
as a soldier in the army dealing with the problems we have with our equipment and trucks the only real problems we really have with the trucks are engine problems the rest of the trucks seem to hold up well i can say that everything the army has is made by the lowest bidder (the person willing to make and sell the product the cheapest) but even still the axles are heavy strong axles but because they are made cheap and as fast as possible there are going to be flaws which can lead to breaks once you get a new shaft you shouldnt have a problem with them breaking again unless your doing some trucks gone wild stuff! or are doing something that consists of high impact!

TRUCKSGONEWILD.COM check it out

·
Registered
193 Posts
toyotas=39's=no break 60's=42's=no break rockwells=44's=break.toys come with 28's 60's come with 31's rockwells come with 42's.look at the tire jump and tell me that they are stronger?

·
Registered
371 Posts
sure, out of the box you can't throw a tire on a rock that is 11" taller and be fine. but go out and build a toy axle, then build a 60, then build a rock. see which one is the strongest and cheapest? i'm going to have to vote rockwell. randy's shit is the bomb. i guarantee that his 16 spline shafts won't let you down. (and hell, if you got the money for the horsepower to make them let you down then you should have bought the 2"ers the first time...)

edit, i'm 100% sure that you can't throw 39s on a toy, or 42s on a 60 and beat it as hard as you can beat a rock with 44s.
and most rocks come with 54" mich's to drive on the road. so...maybe you should reconsider your numbers. my source of information about what most rocks have on them comes from my friend who just got back from his 4th tour in afganistan and he was a heavy equipment operator over there. so he drove truck a lot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i never broke a front or rear 16 spline shaft with 39s or even wore out 44s. i broke quite a few rears with new 44s. i broke 8 shafts in a 9 month period with 47s. my truck weighs in at 7800 lbs and i cant drive worth a shit so i just use my throttle. i did twist up a set of oversons stock spline chromolys in the rear, real bad. if the where stock they would have definitly been broke. randy warranted for me just like he said he would. now im running the stock chromolys up front and the 2" in the rear and everything else is breaking including my radio, but i don't think i can break those axles. i just switched to 49s and dropped a stroker motor in because i so confident in those axles.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
toyotas=33's=no break 60's=37's=no break rockwells=44's=no break.
Edited to match my experience with the respective axles with my friends and the way we wheel. My brother has stripped out ring and pinions on toy axles with 35's, I have a friend who brakes chromo 35-spline 60 shafts and strips out ring and pinions with 40's on a fairly regular basis. Sure, I've seen rockwell shafts break with 44's after heavy heavy abuse but certainly not on a regular basis and you just won't see a rockwell strip a gearset with 44's. I would run 44's with stock shafts and never worry personally. I drive so far to get anywhere to wheel though I run Randy's shafts front and rear just for that extra piece of mind.

Fact of the matter though is that you can build a set of Rockwells with all aftermarket parts like you would a 60 or a Toy axle and the rockwell will handle anything you throw at it. Even a built 60 or Toy has a limit.

J. J.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Oem

It's never ending. Ouverson is the shit no questions asked. I got his 2" front and back. And his u-joints in the rear. But now with a broken pinion gear a while back and now a just discovered bull gear broke after TTC it looks like I will be giving him more money. He is the one vendor that I do not hesitate buying shit from because I know it will be the best. New gearset in my future and a new straight housing:shaking:

·
Registered
413 Posts
How about the fact that most swapped in D60s and Rockwells are anywhere from 25-40 years old and most were used as work trucks that were abused for most of thier lives. Any axle can only twist so many times. To compare apples to apples, put a new 300M D60 against a new 300M 47 spline rockwell and there will be no contest.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
How about the fact that most swapped in D60s and Rockwells are anywhere from 25-40 years old and most were used as work trucks that were abused for most of thier lives. Any axle can only twist so many times. To compare apples to apples, put a new 300M D60 against a new 300M 47 spline rockwell and there will be no contest.
I'm 99.9% certain that Ouverson rock shafts are not 300m or were you just using that as a theoretical?

J. J.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
it all go's back to all the other parts that drwarf a 60 like the knuckle's, housing, gear strenght and ratio. they do have draw back ( Like im figuring out now ) is there massive up-travle in the chunk.
i got a buggy chasise from a friend and the front is not rockwell friendly. i can make it happen but its true when peaple say you need to build and design the chassie around the chunk.
axle strength is also U-joint strength and agin a the rocks have a massive U-joint, this is another plus.

i like them for what they are or well for they were when i got them like 6 years ago. cheap axle's that can live up to 44's and a decent motor with a nice set of low gears, factory.

jason.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm 99.9% certain that Ouverson rock shafts are not 300m or were you just using that as a theoretical?

J. J.
Yes, just trying to point out that the history of used components has a lot to do with thier future. And that the size alone of a rockwell makes it that much stronger.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
It's never ending. Ouverson is the shit no questions asked. I got his 2" front and back. And his u-joints in the rear. But now with a broken pinion gear a while back and now a just discovered bull gear broke after TTC it looks like I will be giving him more money. He is the one vendor that I do not hesitate buying shit from because I know it will be the best. New gearset in my future and a new straight housing:shaking:

Never repair......Always upgrade:smokin:
I'm even more content with my decision after hearing that though;)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts