Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... this stinks of tech, but my question in tech isn't getting answered. I'm hoping for a wider audience. Basically I'm looking to run wires in my cage.

How large of a hole can be drilled in 1.75x.120 tubing before compromising the strength of the tube enough to matter?

Is there a bored engineer in chit chat that can answer this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
slip a 1.5 inch piece in it to sleeve it where your going to drill the hole.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
can't imagine you are gonna need to drill a hole any larger than say 1/2" would ya? you can stuff a lot of wires in a 1/2" hole. i don't think it's anything to worry about:shaking:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
are you welding plates to the floor? or are you going all the way to the frame with your tube? the reason I ask is because if you are going to the floor just punch through there, or use a thicker piece of tube in the area that you want to drill a hole in, or sleeve it like stated above, I dont think a small hole will hurt much, especially if you can do it right next to another tube, or another weld, basically where strength wont be compromised as much, good luck either way.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I can't see it hurting much, but I'm no engineer. What about bending a thick washer to fit the tube and welding it on around the hole:confused:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i dont know specifically how holes affect the structural integrity of a piece of tube, but i've always tried to avoid putting holes in whenever possible. that being said, i would feel comfortable with a pretty large hole if i welded some kind of bung around the hole.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I can't see it hurting much, but I'm no engineer. What about bending a thick washer to fit the tube and welding it on around the hole:confused:
that is what came to my mind as well. i'd use a large washer so it could be welded on the outside and inside with enough room to fit your wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts