Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people running chevy dana 60 fronts, will the stock dana 60 hold up to 39.5 iroks for a while? what if i set it up to do front digs? then is it manditory to upgrade to 35 spline shafts and drive flanges? gimme some input, experiences, and what you're running. thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
There really isn't a definite answer for that question because there are a few variables that go into it...where you wheel (traction), how heavy your rig is, how heavy your right foot is, the condition of the axle....you get the picture

For the most part, the basic answer is that it would hold up, possibly for a good while, but it really depends.

My current rig tips the scales at just over 5600 lbs trail ready but without passengers. 39.5 IROKs on a Ford 60, 30 year old stock internals and it is setup to do front digs. However, we don't have too many nice rocks to play on and I'm usually easy on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
people running chevy dana 60 fronts, will the stock dana 60 hold up to 39.5 iroks for a while? what if i set it up to do front digs? then is it manditory to upgrade to 35 spline shafts and drive flanges? gimme some input, experiences, and what you're running. thanks
I run a stock shafted 60. I've run it with 42's, 39.5 Irocks and now 39 inch Krawlers. So far I have wiped out one stub shaft. It's holding up great. I have a few outers left. Once those are used up, I'll upgrade.

FWIW - I run a low HP 3.8 Buick motor. My rig weighs about 3600lbs. That has alot to do with whether it will survive or not. i do not do front digs with stock shafts. If you are running a hot V8 in a 4500lb rig. You'll probably pop shafts like they are going out of style........

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, im not sure exactly what mine will tip the scales at, pretty much a stock 95 wrangler with 4.0/AX15/300/60/14, comp cut, stretch. I also have a light foot and try to drive smarter rather than harder. ill run it stock and if things start breaking ill upgrade, but for now ill keep saving my pennies to finish up my build. thanks for the fast replies!

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I run a stock shafted 60. I've run it with 42's, 39.5 Irocks and now 39 inch Krawlers. So far I have wiped out one stub shaft. It's holding up great. I have a few outers left. Once those are used up, I'll upgrade.

FWIW - I run a low HP 3.8 Buick motor. My rig weighs about 3600lbs. That has alot to do with whether it will survive or not. i do not do front digs with stock shafts. If you are running a hot V8 in a 4500lb rig. You'll probably pop shafts like they are going out of style........
you drive like a girl anyways:flipoff2:, i am 3 hard years on all the stock ford 60 parts and no breakage yet. i know sooner or later i will break somthing but for now i have plenty of spares and like andy said when all the spare's are used up then i will go with the 35 spline outers. rig specs are 4.0, 700r in a very copped up YJ, jason.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i run 39.5 iroks on the stock neck down inner shafts, 35 spline outter though and beat the hell out of it and i have yet to have a problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a ton, you've given me and my credit card bill a little hope now that i know i dont NEED to upgrade right away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts