Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 96 discovery and want to move the rear axle back ten inches. Does any one have any pics of something similar?

I'm planning on just extending the links. Doing a clean job of lifting the gas tank might be the hardest part, or maybe the coil mounts.

One more thing the rear suspension is way to bouncy feels like there is no shocks. I'm looking for some good adjustable shocks. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have a 96 discovery and want to move the rear axle back ten inches. Does any one have any pics of something similar?

I'm planning on just extending the links. Doing a clean job of lifting the gas tank might be the hardest part, or maybe the coil mounts.

One more thing the rear suspension is way to bouncy feels like there is no shocks. I'm looking for some good adjustable shocks. Any suggestions?
Stretching the wheel base will be a tall order, especially the amount your talking about. You will end up having to hack her up a fair amount. You likely want to run a fuel cell instead of "lifting the tank" And since your hacking the crap outta the fenders, you might as well throw in some coil overs.

Aside from that, the disco has a fairly competitive wheel base, I wouldn't mess with it myself.

As for rear end being bouncy, a set of crappy ranchos will give you enough adjustability to make her ride the way you want.

But for anyone to be any help, you need to post pics of your suspension so we know what has been done during the axle swap. The most common mod to the rear is relocating the lower link front mount forward roughly 8-10". this fixes a lot of the crappy ride issues with the stock arms.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The frame drops down behind the axle, so if you move it back that far, you will have to bob the frame. I moved mine back only 4" and any farther and the frame dropping down would have become an issue.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
The simplest way is to cut it in the middle of the frame and extend there. The center is perfectly straight and all you need to do is find the right size tube to sleeve in. Did ths Jeep that way, added 24" in the center and 18" in the rear.

The chassis stuff is easy, the body is going to be a pain in the ass to make look anything other than shittacular.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Maybe, just maybe start out with a LWB RRC with a 108" WheelBase. I'm sure Keith would make a set of trailing arms, or maybe Brad (once his finger heals).

Just sayin'

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just really hate the overhang and how tall it is. And I can't lower it because it's kinda hard to trim the door...

Maybe I'll start with just some better shocks.

I was thinkin 10 inches cause I'm going to have to deal with the fuel tank and relocating shock mounts and coil buckets either way might as well gain something

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The frame drops down behind the axle, so if you move it back that far, you will have to bob the frame. I moved mine back only 4" and any farther and the frame dropping down would have become an issue.
Could you just run a shorter coil!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Could you just run a shorter coil!
:shaking::shaking::shaking: Just weld the axle tubes to the frame and your done. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Its not a buggy, its not a superior rock crawler. Disco's are excellent trail trucks not crawlers. They do well for what they are, soccer mom suv's that can go offroad. Discos are tall no matter what you do unless you chop the top off. Wheel it and enjoy it for awhile before you start dreaming of hacking it up. You might find that it isn't the truck for you and pass it along to a fellow rover geek. Or you may love it and hopefully do a better hack job than MXTJETSPEED or what ever his name is.

If you stick with rovers, you might look into an old series or something that will be better suited for rock crawlers.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
pics of links axles etc...

just get the wheel/axle center of arch or maybe a few back and cut gurads...if over hang still bothers you, bobtail it

Done :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just think for every thing a little longer would help. Towing would be better daily driving would be more stable and off road would be better departure and more stable. I already have a buggy I don't want chop this up a ton.

Maybe good shocks and a sway bar would be better.. Takin it and the buggy out Tuesday hopefully the girl friend doesn't tip it

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Or buy a 110! it has the wheel base you a looking for and it isn’t top heavy (as long as it doesn’t have that stupid 800lb NAS roll cage)

·
Registered
37 Posts
How do you know you want to stretch it 10 inches if you haven't really done much wheeling in it? Take puffdragon's advice and wheel it for what it is before you go chopping it up and getting in over your head. And if you wanted something good to tow with you wouldn't have bought a disco..

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
unless he puts a merc diesel in it.....bahahahahahahahaha :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
macker your a dumb ass i want something to tow my light weight buggys to the trails in moab.. since there ya know ten miles away i think the disco can handle it..

ive wheel 100 inch wb i think its garbage unless its really low.. and this is not low..

my buggy is 113 and low and i love it

so 110 and tall for a trail rig should be fine :)

how come you guys are scared to do anything to these rigs? every disco doesnt have to be the same.. or a hack job lol

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
let me get this right you really have no friends :) and did you not see me say i wanted to lower it.. and only tow 10 miles.. if you would have read the first post i posted about buying it you would have seen i wanted to use it to tow but you were to busy being an ass hole and thinking you know everything cause you drive a big gay mog :)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
KC is the mog asshole, not me, I drive Land Rovers and am a Land Rover asshole.

Had I seen your interest in using this truck as a tow rig, I would have had even more reason to question your buying it. Land Rovers are not tow rigs, they are the vehicles that are towed to the trails.

Given the steering setup on that truck, you're likely to run into interference issues when you lower it.

I don't need friends, I have Land Rovers to keep me company.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts