Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've read through the FAQ's about stretching and have a pretty good idea of what we need to do but would like your input in case I am missing something.
I've looked at the Jeep myself and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm looking at the major stuff only, the smaler stuff is a gimmie. And if I read correctly, stretching a TJ in front about 2-3" will require relocating the steering box, spring buckets and shock towers of course. The normal suspension stuff with longer arms (already has RE long arm) or changing bracketry. We can fab just about anything we need so that won't be an issue. Am I missing something? And yes LAME, I still have a Toy :flipoff2: :flipoff2: This is for those Jeep owners here that want what WB we have :flipoff2:
TIA

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stretching a TJ requires alot of work. Fabbing long arms, coil buckets, custom links, etc. will take time and money. A common way to go about it would be cut off the stock coil buckets and reuse them. Relocating them aft on the frame (in the rear) will give you more lift (you'll have to run a shorter coil versus the front). If you're looking to go low, you can notch the frame or cut and rebuild/tube it. Some people on here are running leaves pretty successfully too out back. The front you can stretch a few inches before you have to relocate the steering box. Turning it on the frame (there are a few writeups here) allows you to get more wheelbase in front as well. Full hydro will allow you to stretch the front as much as you want.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kebo said:
Stretching a TJ requires alot of work. Fabbing long arms, coil buckets, custom links, etc. will take time and money. A common way to go about it would be cut off the stock coil buckets and reuse them. Relocating them aft on the frame (in the rear) will give you more lift (you'll have to run a shorter coil versus the front). If you're looking to go low, you can notch the frame or cut and rebuild/tube it. Some people on here are running leaves pretty successfully too out back. The front you can stretch a few inches before you have to relocate the steering box. Turning it on the frame (there are a few writeups here) allows you to get more wheelbase in front as well. Full hydro will allow you to stretch the front as much as you want.
Thanks, the rear is covered already, the front is what we haven't done before. He does not want full hydro so that is a no go. If that's the case on the front then what i hear is that if we go just 2-3" we might not need to relocate the steering box?
Making new buckets is easy as well as the other bracketry and we will reuse if possible whatever we can.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a question about the astro van steering swap. Do you know what year astro vans were reverse rotation or were all of them? I searched but cant find a year or anyone at least mentioning it, thanks.
Its mentioned in GoVols buildup so check that out. You can find it in the TJ buildup swap thread.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think you need mid 90s astro van box and its the 2wd version. Although however you go about it, don't forget about the track bar. Once you stetch so far you're going to have to move either the frame mount forward or the axle mount back. You'll also have to fab a mount like P&T JEEPS did so that your coils and shocks still line up with the frame mounts. And your control arm mounts have to be longer or your arms need to be longer as well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Front stretch

If you don't mind pushing out the front frame, you can cut and sleeve the whole front section.

Do this-

Running 42's, it really didn't hurt the approach angle and added some needed room for the upright 8274 winch.

I have since gone full-hydro, so I'll be cutting off the whole front section soon anyway. I wish I had gone full-hydro in the first place and I could have avoided this whole step.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not sure why you pushed the front frame out. Never heard of doing that before unless you have leaf springs. I pushed my front axle forward 8" running the astro box and hydro assist. Wheels stick out 3" past the winch fairlead and 5" past the bumper with 40" tires.

looks good, except the angle on the links and ride height.. i think you would benefit from lowering it a few inches. would prob be alot more stable. just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Not sure why you pushed the front frame out. Never heard of doing that before unless you have leaf springs. I pushed my front axle forward 8" running the astro box and hydro assist. Wheels stick out 3" past the winch fairlead and 5" past the bumper with 40" tires.

Do you have a build thread? Would like to see more pics of the frontend.:D

·
Registered
876 Posts
On my build, we got 5" stretch out of the front by welding a piece of 2X4 box tube on the front of the frame rails as a new cross member. This allowed removing of the stock tube and then pushing the steering box forward about 5" after sinking it into the box tube a little bit. Mine is a YJ, but the basics will be the same.

If you're going to all the other effort, dump the coil springs and go coil-overs.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

do you have anymore pictures of the stretch?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts