Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a mostly 4-5" stretch all in the rear and some stretches have been in the front. What is the reasoning or advantage of one over the other? I am referring to moving the axles only.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
The rear is just easy and shortens up the rear overhang. The front axle already sits relatively close to the front of the frame.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have seen a mostly 4-5" stretch all in the rear and some stretches have been in the front. What is the reasoning or advantage of one over the other? I am referring to moving the axles only.
The front will need to be switched to full hyro steering unless modifications are made to move the steering box which generally puts your approach angle back where it was, eliminating part of the reason to stretch. The rear is generally "easier" but when you say "axles only" you are still looking at changing the control arms, mounts, spring mounts, suspension components depending on if your staying with coils, fuel tank, steering, track bar mounts (if keeping), blah, blah, blah. It's unavoidable.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size tires on the LJ? I have seen some good stretches on LJ's that looked greta but some with 38 or smaller tires are semi goofy looking and actually did little as far as approach and dep angle improvements.
The wheelbase is 108". Front went 3.5" forward and the rear went 1.5" back. The high steer of the Rockjock 60 allowed that, so the steering box was not moved. 37" tires on it now, but I am going to 40's. I am thinking of taking the spare off of the rear tire carrier and laying it on a platform above the wheel wells. Then possibly moving the rear axle back 3". That will give a great front and rear approach/departure angle. Just don't want to get it too long.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daddy long legs was 5" back iirc and kept the stock tank.
The builder of my soon to be here LJ mentioned that he moved the rear back 1.5" and that to go further would require the Genright stretch fuel tank.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
My LJ is stretched to 112 wheelbase moving the rear end only. The steering box is in the factory location. Its got a genright stretch fuel tank and I believe Dean Bullock's OnTrackFab shop did the work. It needs a paint job but here is a few pics. With 39's I think the proportions look like a TJ on 35's. The first 3 pics are pretty much when I got it while I was finishing some things the last two are of the first time I had it out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My LJ is stretched to 112 wheelbase moving the rear end only. The steering box is in the factory location. Its got a genright stretch fuel tank and I believe Dean Bullock's OnTrackFab shop did the work. It needs a paint job but here is a few pics. With 39's I think the proportions look like a TJ on 35's. The first 3 pics are pretty much when I got it while I was finishing some things the last two are of the first time I had it out.

Wanna sell it?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I will punch you square in the nuts if you sell it. :flipoff2:
Its not for sale, but I would like to here what he offers for amusements sake. :laughing:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I ended up stretching the front and rear for a total of 115, with 42's it both looks proportional as well as performs great. Like any buggy it will be tweaked as things are worked out but I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a call today that my LJ is being loaded and I should have it by Sat. Thanks for the pics and ideas. Thinking I will look into the Genright stretch tank and add another 4" to the 108" WB. Looks like most just went with longer arms instead of moving the brackets back. How do the arms fare in the rocks?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is a TJ but I stretched my frame and body to LJ length leaving the rear wheel wells in the stock TJ location, along with 4" of stretch up front here is 40" tires with 112" wheel base

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine is a TJ but I stretched my frame and body to LJ length leaving the rear wheel wells in the stock TJ location, along with 4" of stretch up front here is 40" tires with 112" wheel base
That is what I would like to end up with. Will have to figure out the best way to move the coilovers back 4" and keep the same height.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Got a call today that my LJ is being loaded and I should have it by Sat. Thanks for the pics and ideas. Thinking I will look into the Genright stretch tank and add another 4" to the 108" WB. Looks like most just went with longer arms instead of moving the brackets back. How do the arms fare in the rocks?
Do not need the stretch tank, but it's your money. Check the daddy long legs build I linked. They used a stock tank, moved back. If my jeep was here, I'd take a picture of the offending crossmember and 5" gap at the back of the frame.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts