Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not seem too hardcore to most but I am trying to get this question in front of a group with real mechanical experience instead of those trying to decide which blue headlights are the best. I have a 98 ZJ. The front sway bar bushings are heald to the "frame" by a bracket with 2 bolts that attach to captured nuts inside the "frame" rail. My problem is that one of these nuts has stripped and I am trying to figure out the best remedy for the situstion. If I had access to the nut I would just tack a new one on top of the existing one. should I drill and tap, helicoil, or something else? Although you may not have run into this exact problem before hopefully someone could offer some direction. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
drill and tap or helicoil either one would work
this belongs in non hardcore the same people read both sections
the blue headlights don't belong on pirate at all

·
Registered
13,996 Posts
Just tap it to the Next larger size if its metric then the next larger standard size. If standard then the next larger Metric size.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i also vote to drill out the stripped nut and tap for the next size larger bolt. if that fails for some reason you can also completely drill out the nut and weld in a new nut flush with the frame. you may also have to drill-out the bracket hole to fit a larger diameter bolt when done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts