Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so it's an 86 runner Ifs with an aussie

I sheared the axle shaft from the cv mounting plate on the right side and now can not figure out how to get the shaft out. The locker prevents me from popping it out from the inside and I have nothing to grab to pull it out from the outside.

I've tried welding a hook to the end and using a slide hammer but all it does is pull tiny pieces of the axle off.

Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Is it possible to remove the shaft from the other side, and use a punch or chisel to drive it out?

I've had similar issue, but it was with the inner shaft on a solid axle. I ended up welding a length of chain to the shaft, then bolting the other end of the 2' piece of chain to my hilift. Swing hilift like a baseball bat and the shaft came right out...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pin for the locker prevents the punch idea I'll try the chain though

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SAS:flipoff2:
Haha already ahead of you all I need is some 4.88s, shocks, and then I'll make a square drive shaft

But in the mean time I have the parts to fix this so I can stay on the trail while I collect

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well using chain and hilift as bat didnt work so I put hilift on the frame and tried to ratchet it out and it just broke the 14mm bolt that I welded on:mad3:

·
Registered
149 Posts
is it possible that you could have twisted the splines on the inside of your carrier before the axle shaft snapped. and now the splines are binding preventing you from pulling it out. cause sounds like you have a serious problem because typically i will pull out a birfiled inner axle with channel locks.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
The pin for the locker prevents the punch idea I'll try the chain though
I know there is a pin there, didn't know if there was room to get around it at all...

If you're looking for a solid front axle, I've got a bone stock axle complete, hub to hub that I may be willing to sell:smokin: I could probably drop it off in Yucaipa in a couple weeks, since I drive by there quite a bit...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it possible that you could have twisted the splines on the inside of your carrier before the axle shaft snapped. and now the splines are binding preventing you from pulling it out. cause sounds like you have a serious problem because typically i will pull out a birfiled inner axle with channel locks.
Possibly but it Has about a 1/4" of Play in and out

If you're looking for a solid front axle, I've got a bone stock axle complete, hub to hub that I may be willing to sell:smokin: I could probably drop it off in Yucaipa in a couple weeks, since I drive by there quite a bit...
Thanks but I already have one I just need a 4.88 gear set for it

·
Registered
287 Posts
ok so it's an 86 runner Ifs with an aussie

I sheared the axle shaft from the cv mounting plate on the right side and now can not figure out how to get the shaft out. The locker prevents me from popping it out from the inside and I have nothing to grab to pull it out from the outside.

I've tried welding a hook to the end and using a slide hammer but all it does is pull tiny pieces of the axle off.

Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?
Yea, take the diff apart! :homer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts