Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be travelling from Australia specifically to watch the KOH race but am stumped at how to get out there to watch it.
Hire cars seem out of the question as they can't be used on dirt roads and I don't want to have a rental wrecked out on the desert due to a stray buggy. (A difficult one to explain)
I am planning on being in California for about 2 weeks to check out some other motorsports but the KOH is the main reason for my trip. This hassle of trying to find transport to Johnson valley is starting to be a worry,
Any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Any rental car will get you into Hammertown. I wouldn't worry at all bringing a rental car in. From there you can watch on the jumbotron with 500 of your friends. Or you can bum a ride to Backdoor or Chocolate thunder. Bring beer to help you get a ride.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Any rental car will get you into Hammertown. I wouldn't worry at all bringing a rental car in. From there you can watch on the jumbotron with 500 of your friends. Or you can bum a ride to Backdoor or Chocolate thunder. Bring beer to help you get a ride.
This...buy the extra insurance if you are worried about the car getting hurt. you can easily and safely thumb a ride anywhere you want to go.

Or rent a 4x4 and you will be able to get to the big viewing spots without much trouble. Tell the rental place you are going to Big Bear and you need 4x4 in case it snows:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies guys, I guess it may not be that much of a drama after all. I think I will still sleep OK after lying to a rental company !

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies guys, I guess it may not be that much of a drama after all. I think I will still sleep OK after lying to a rental company !
I belive Boone rd. is a county road maintained by the county. I wouldn't consider it off-roading. You will need a car wash before you return it. The Speed Wash in Victorville on bear valley rd. always has great looking girls working there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
boone is really smooth right now too. any car will make it to hammer town. and any 4wd or awd car will make it to backdoor or choc thunder easily. my wife last year took out 4x4 jeep patriot up to CT. its basically a 4wd car.

·
Premium Member
11,147 Posts
I brought a rental Toyota Avalon to Hammertown last year, no big deal.

Depending on which airport you're flying into, make your rental reservations ASAP before all the good shit is gone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm flying into LAX and getting something there, maybe a SUV that I could sleep in if it came down to it. I gotta see first hand how bad that LA traffic really is....and probably staying in Victorville.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm flying into LAX and getting something there, maybe a SUV that I could sleep in if it came down to it. I gotta see first hand how bad that LA traffic really is....and probably staying in Victorville.
Actually, you should stay in Yucca Valley. It is basically 20ish miles from the Hammers vs 50ish in Victorville.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I promise you the novelty of LA traffic will be short lived.... It sucks

Also you are far better off staying in Yucca Valley the Victorville A much easy drive to the lake bed for the race...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An early flight, like 5:30 arrival.
I have found a friendly local that is going to give me a place to stay at Apple Valley, maybe an hour drive away but sounds great to me. The weather might be a bit of a shock tho, its 90deg and 80% humidity at my home today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't enter the race but I had an absolute ball.
I hired a 2wd SUV and it got me to chocolate thunder and backdoor with no problems, a $10 carwash back in LA and all is good.
I gotta plan next year now, that was an event I could definitely be a regular at.
See you all at 2015 !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts