Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '89 half ton 4x4 with a np435 transmisson. It's getting a 440 soon, but I'm having lots of trouble planning out the bellhousing situation. I can't find a truck bell for it. Lakewood bellhousings make one that fits between the 440 and the np435, but it's not the truck np435. Apparently the truck trans has a bigger input shaft and different bolt pattern. It won't work. I've been talking to bouchillon performance, who does all kinds of dodge engine swaps. They said they had lakewood create a casting for them for this swap. $464.50 from them. I'd get it, but it's set up for a mechanical clutch. Mine's hydraulic. They don't have, nor have they ever fabbed a clutch fork and pivot to use with a hydraulic setup. They said the mechanical one won't work (for some reason?) and that I'm out of luck basically. I really don't want to have to design my own clutch fork for this thing. Converting the truck to mechanical clutch is an option, but I'd really like to keep the hydraulic setup. Nobody makes a hydraulic throwout bearing for the np435 truck trans' input shaft.

So... anybody got any ideas? I'm starting to get desperate.
Does anyone have a big block truck bellhousing for sale that will bolt to the np435?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
My step-dad ganked the 360 outta his Warlock and stuffed in a RB 440. He got the Lakewood bell-housing and had the input shaft opening enlarged (on a lathe, I think) so that he could run the stock gearbox. This was over 20 yrs ago so I'm not sure what the tranny was.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
The Lakewood I have is a direct swap. The hole for the front bearing retainer was actually too large for my NP435, but it came with a ring to tack weld on the trans to make a tight fit. Lakewood part # 15335 is the one you need, trust me. I still have the box mine came in.

Here's the specs straight from Lakewood's website:
http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandId=0&productID=727361&majID=150&minID=&selection=3&minselection=

Hell, it'll even fit the NV4500, so a future 5 speed swap is possible also.

As for the hydraulic setup, I'd run a normal clutch fork and release bearing and then just use a pusher to work the fork. It may take a little custom braketry, but other than swapping to a complete mechanical setup, that's about all I know of that you can do without some custom machine work.

Also, the NP435 is a truck trans, I don't think there is a non-granny gear version, and I seriously doubt one was ever put in a car. It sounds to me like the guys at Bouchillon are getting the NP435 confused with the NP833 car trans, which does have a truck application and does have a larger front bearing retainer in those applications. But it is also the same size as the aluminum overdrive version of the NP833 that was installed in cars, so they may just be on crack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts