Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Can I remove the front sight with no ill effects? Or does it serve another purpose?
Quoted for stupidity. :flipoff2:

The front sight base is also the gas block. Gas comes out of the hole drilled in the barrel, through the front sight base and into the gas tube. Everything above the gas tube is for sighting only and can be cut off.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
depends on what you have, is it the gas block as well?

Del-Ton M4gery

Quoted for stupidity. :flipoff2:

The front sight base is also the gas block. Gas comes out of the hole drilled in the barrel, through the front sight base and into the gas tube. Everything above the gas tube is for sighting only and can be cut off.
I admitted it was a stupid question in the thread title. :homer:

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
Can I remove the front sight with no ill effects? Or does it serve another purpose?
You mean this? held on with two cross pins?

The standard FSB as found on the M16 and M4 is an integrated gas block and front sight.
You remove that and you no have a manually operated weapon. Will need to pull the charging handle each time to extract spent, feed new

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why do you want to remove the front site?
So I don't have to use the riser, or stupid high scope rings.

You mean this? held on with two cross pins?

The standard FSB as found on the M16 and M4 is an integrated gas block and front sight.
You remove that and you no have a manually operated weapon. Will need to pull the charging handle each time to extract spent, feed new
That would make it legal to hunt in PA. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I'm guessing you are worried about the front sight blocking your vision and not physically being in the way of your scope. Once you get to ~4X magnification, the sight will only be a small blur towards the bottom of the image seen through the scope. I shot with a standard FSB and 4X ACOG for many years without issue.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I'm guessing you are worried about the front sight blocking your vision and not physically being in the way of your scope. Once you get to ~4X magnification, the sight will only be a small blur towards the bottom of the image seen through the scope. I shot with a standard FSB and 4X ACOG for many years without issue.
While this is true, it was still visable enough to bug me which is why I cut mine off.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Try running the scope through the sight first. A friend has some POS Chinese 4x scope on his AR with a fixed site and it doesn't bother him in the least. If it turns out to drive you nuts, then go and chop the thing up.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Because of the straight design of the AR stock, you want those high rings to get a decent cheek weld and view through the scope. That's the reason the AR sights are so high to begin with. Drop the scope lower and it's going to get real uncomfortable to shoot, like forget cheek weld and think temple weld.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because of the straight design of the AR stock, you want those high rings to get a decent cheek weld and view through the scope. That's the reason the AR sights are so high to begin with. Drop the scope lower and it's going to get real uncomfortable to shoot, like forget cheek weld and think temple weld.
Good to know. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts