Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 ton master with no booster, stock dual piston calipers up front and D44 calipers in the rear. I also have a residual valve inline on the rear....
my pedal is SOLID and it takes tons of pressure to get the rig (with 42s) to stop. I also have 4:1 t-case and a V8, so pushing the the brakes it pretty easy. I think I need to pull the valve out...I had it in there before when I had a booster. I dont have room to add one, as my coilover tower would be in the way of the master cylinder.
I have also been thinking about swapping my current MC with the Vette master.....

I know, search...bla bla bla. I have spent most of the morning searching about manual setups, most of the ones the come up mention the vette MC...but no mention about the same type of pedal feel that I have.

any ideas?:flipoff2:
Brian

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Eliminated the booster and bolted the MC to the firewall. Works great.

78-79 Chevy 1ton non hydroboost

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so it works fine? how does the pedal feel?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The pedal feels like a powerbrakes with out motor running.
I do have to apply good pressure but can hold my rig on steep climbs very well.. Front is dual piston ford, rear is 3/4ton chevy.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTT on this...
I ended up pulling the prop valve out that I had in there. It seemed to help a little, but the pedal is still to stiff.

I think the vette MC is still the way to go.....who knows.

Brian

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
BTT on this...
I ended up pulling the prop valve out that I had in there. It seemed to help a little, but the pedal is still to stiff.

I think the vette MC is still the way to go.....who knows.

Brian

if your pedal is too stiff you need a smaller master to build more pressure.

smaller bore: more pressure, less flow
larger bore: more flow, less pressure

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
If the MC size is correct, you may be able to adjust your pedal ratio. I changed mine and it made a big difference. BTW, I have non-power brakes.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just did a little research.....the MC that I am using is like 1.3XX" and the vette is 1.125. I may get that MC and just try it.

I need to measure my brake pedal, it is the stock S10 pedal, but it seems pretty long...I think..LOL

Billa...I have read through that article and it has explained some things a lot better than what I knew. thanks

thanks for the help so far.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
A 1.3" someting bore MC is pretty large IMO. You need a smaller bore MC if you want to continue to not run a booster. How much smaller you ask, well that is hard to say since I don't exactly know what your brakes feel like. Maybe something around 1.00" would work.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, I am going to bring this back up....again. I thought I had cured my problem, but I didnt. I can lock up the rear, but it takes some pressure. I was used to running around in low range (4:1), so when going down hill, the gearing helped a ton....then I busted my tcase, put a stocker back in and noticed my brakes were not as good as I thought...but the low range still helped a bit....then proceeded to break that case (main shaft), so I had no gearing what so ever getting pulled down the mountain at Harlan....ya, the brakes sucks and I have to get them fixed....this is BS
I did some searching and found some good braking info about pedal ratio and MC size. I found that my pedal ratio is kinda low (rough measurement, as my pedal mount is up in the dash and had to do it by feel) my pedal is roughly 14" long and the push rod is about 3" from the pivot. I am going to go out and try and get some better measurements in a while to see if I was close.
I am wondering if the Ford dual piston calipers are not working correctly? like they are worn out. or if that MC wont push them all the out? what about a residual valve on front brake line?
I am going to be replacing ALL the steel line on my rig, as some of it is still original.

thoughts?

Brian

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Did you change the MC yet? How does the pedal feel?

If the calipers aren't leaking or sticking I doubt they're the problem. Does it pull to one side when you drive or hit the brakes? Just for giggles you could take the calipers off and make sure they compress all the way and aren't sticking.

It sounds like you still need to increase your leverage ratio somehow. Either with more pedal leverage, smaller MC, or brake booster. You could try different pads, but thats kinda a longshot.

Kevo

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did put the vette master on...I just took it off to take back to Napa, since it was leaking out the bore (pulled the piston out, looks like there are gouges in the cylinder wall) Napa is going to warranty it for me since it hasnt been a year yet.
I looked at the pedal and it appears that I could move the push rod up and that would help my leverage out quite a bit.
need to get the new lines and MC ran, then I might pull the front tires to check those calipers.

thanks for the reply.

Brian

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm, I need to do some more checking around. I think a 1" bore MC is too small for the Ford calipers up front....maybe not
what bore size is that MC?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts