Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ready to put the ol SM465 and 205 in the Turd... I scored the hydro ear having bellhousing and fork so my question is this. The guy I got it from said it was a "pull style" slave cylinder. What is in my truck is a "push" style. The shift arm that came with the bellhousing has a "hole" in the end so obviously my push style one wont work...

A. Think I could just use the shift arm and slave thats there? Im not certain and probably wont be until I pull the existing 2wd 5spd and get into the swap...problem is this is my DD so it will be a Saturday in out swap, I need EVERYTHING in hand before I start.

B. Buy a pull style slave... will this work with the hydraulics setup the way they are?

Any clutch setup gurus out there? this will be my first trail rig with a manual so Im not sure how much interchangability I have to work with here. :p

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn I come check back and it appears there is 26 other fawkers that dont know :laughing:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
never seen a factory pull style sm465 bellhousing
what side is the slave on?

oh and that is a stupid title if you want help on this thread

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have a hydraulic bellhousing on my SM465... and its push style.

Does the bellhousing even fit the SM465? Is it aluminum or iron? Might be from a car... :confused:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pretty much got it figured out today, It is a hydro housing for a SM465 and it did come off of a truck (or at least it appears to have. I already bolted it to my SM465 so I know thats all good. Today I went and looked under a neighbors 1 ton with this exact same bellhousing and SM465, his was also a pusher style so Im thinking I can use the fork thats in my 5 speed and slap on the pusher slave and be good to go. The factory setup I looked at was on an 87 3+3 1 ton single wheel chevy truck. Im basically going to do mine to mimic that factory one. If my fork wont work Im going to weld a tab on the fork I got with the housing so it can be pushed.(this fork has a hole in the end of it.)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
so the slave is drivers side? 1985-87 old body style
(if it was a passenger side out of the 88+ new body style IFS, I have no experience with them)
if DS it is a push type and whomever told you otherwise was wrong

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My truck stated life as a 2wd, the 5 speed has hydro on the pass. side. The bellhousing and fork I bought from a guy off the net and it is a drivers side slave mount, BUT the fork I got from him with it and what he was running was a PULL style hydro on this drivers side bellhousing.... I had never seen that before is why I asked. The truck I looked at today had the push style slave on the drivers side and is exactly how I want to set mine up.... Hope that clears it up some.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
it doesnt clear it up any
how did he mount this pull style to the bell?
why did he do it?

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mj said:
it doesnt clear it up any
how did he mount this pull style to the bell?
why did he do it?
:laughing: He put a pull style slave on the drivers side with a pull style fork. Apparently they bolt up the same on the bellhousing... Im not going to go that route unless 1 of 2 things happens...I find that its cheaper ...and my clutch master cyl will work that way as well.

The guy I got it from is on BTF's website and I believe he is sponsored by then I know he runs the comps down this way...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
what chev ever used a pull style clutch?
Fords used a cable in Mustangs 79+ so it was pull
unaware of chevs using a pull style

1 - 11 of 11 Posts