Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I recently bought an 83 toyota, that I threw 3.5" springs under, and 33" boggers. My questions to you all are....
What is that "panhard style" bar that connects the frame to the axle?? Is it necessary? it seems to be holding the driver side down a lil, and was wondering if I should lengthen it, or torch off the mounts for it? Help please.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
The first thing I do when I get a new axle, is torch that stupid tower off. No need for the bar.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are you talking about the toruqe arm? You need that bar, unless ofcoarse you don't mind your rig pulling to the right every time you press on the breaks. If you remove the torque arm your front axle will use your drag link as a torque arm and cause your steering to pull to the right when you slow down. If you don't think this is a big deal then imagine slamming on you brakes at 70mph and think of what might happen. Many companies make an extended torque arm that will not hamper your articulation, but I just cut and welded mine to the desired length and then made it so I can remove it if it hampers my flex when wheeling.
You should really consider keeping it hooked up. Anyway that's my $0.02

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
SJ410Bark said:
OK, I recently bought an 83 toyota, that I threw 3.5" springs under, and 33" boggers. My questions to you all are....
What is that "panhard style" bar that connects the frame to the axle?? Is it necessary? it seems to be holding the driver side down a lil, and was wondering if I should lengthen it, or torch off the mounts for it? Help please.
What kind of springs are they? Are they arched the same? If yes did you put a spacer on the spring pad on the driver’s side, it sits lower then the passenger side. The stock springs are arched different on the drivers side to compensate for the difference, most aftermarket are arched the same so you have to weld a spacer to the spring perch, I think it is 3/8’s someone correct me if I am wrong:D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all. Think we figured it out, lengthed the arm. Thanks again to those who responded

1 - 8 of 8 Posts