Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a high traction surface, how far do you have to drive after relieving air pressure to your locker before it unlocks?

Hint--I see ram assist in my future.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTT. come on guys, no one can offer up an answer?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
usually just a blip of the throttle will disengage it.

Tis

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Just hold the switch until the “locked” light goes out.

Oh wait, that’s on my E-lockers!! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice :flipoff2:

Especially you PT, the king of stuck! :D

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Switch it off and drive the truck for a few rotations of the wheels. It’ll help if you’re not going in a straight line, as the “differential” action will help knock the locker out.

I don’t know if you’ll hear a clunk when they disengage…I do with the e-lockers.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I have done--it seems to take a few feet (like 5-10) of driving for it to disengage--its silent--and it only seems to want to unlock when going straight. I just wanted to make sure that its working like it should.

Problem is, I can't steer when its on and I'm on a high traction surface. My steering was iffy before with the wide tires.. Now, I don't have enough muscle to overcome it at all.

Anyone with a definitive experience???

·
Registered
242 Posts
Like anything else in the driveline, you must "unload" the locker, hub, transfer case, etc before you can turn, shift. disengage, etc. Try stopping and shift into reverse for a second, that will let everything unbind. The return springs can then push the locking part apart. And yes turning binds up the front driveline when locked. Make sense ?

JB

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
darkstar said:
That's what I have done--it seems to take a few feet (like 5-10) of driving for it to disengage--its silent--and it only seems to want to unlock when going straight. I just wanted to make sure that its working like it should.

Problem is, I can't steer when its on and I'm on a high traction surface. My steering was iffy before with the wide tires.. Now, I don't have enough muscle to overcome it at all.

Anyone with a definitive experience???
Alex:
The only experience I have with lockers was driving Tony Cordell's 90. Your experience is exactly like mine-release air, straighten wheels, drive forward slightly and they unlock.

the more important question is why are you using your lockers on a hihg-traction surface? By definition, isn't that a no-no?

King of Stuck-I like it, too bad it's often true :flipoff2:

PT

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure, it makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that mine isn't lagging more than it should be--I set it up 100% pneumatic, and the exhaust is in the switch which is in the dash, so there is a lot of air line between the locker and the air exhaust--I know it won't pop out of there immeditately, just want to make sure my plumbing isn't delaying it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only experience I have with ARB's is in Ali's truck.

Damn things wouldn't unlock to save your life on Moab slick-rock. They needed a bunch of back/forth. Fun when there's a cliff in front of you and your front is engaged. Maybe they'd be better on loose surfaces.

The Mog airlockers just need a lift on the throttle to unload them. 'Course, the Mogs power steering box is bigger then a whole D90 - so if you need to turn when locked, just move the wheel :)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PTSchram said:
the more important question is why are you using your lockers on a hihg-traction surface? By definition, isn't that a no-no?
PT
Well, I was just testing them driving around the culdesac where my house is, and it happens to be asphalt.. But why would it be a no-no? you can lift a wheel on a high traction surface and stil lose momentum.

·
Registered
233 Posts
alex mine unlocks as soon as I lift off the throttle.
that is the same for both front and rear.
and PT when are you coming over for take 2?
I have plenty more very nice Lanes to show you.
Black monkey lane
Billy lane
Kitrow
to name but three :flipoff2:
as a taster:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tony cordell said:
alex mine unlocks as soon as I lift off the throttle.
that is the same for both front and rear.
on dirt/mud or on dry rock? thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alex,

My ARBs on the Landcruiser behave the same way as they did on the RRC. Even though I'm using the ARB solenoids now, they take a decent time to unlock on slick rock. Going to Neutral helps with the drivetrain unloading and they unlock a little faster.

Ali

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, it sounds what I am experiencing is what is to be expected, correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts