Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys

I am getting ready to have my OME caster bushings installed by a local machine shop (i will be bringing them the control arms off of the truck) and i am trying to mark them per the supplied instructions.

My question is this, per this picture below, is the horizontal line they are referring to using the rear bolt as the center axis and running a "Level" (using a bubble level) line to the front, or are they referring to a line between the center of the rear bolt and top of the bushing (regardless of its level relationship to the ground) as shown in the pic below.

I am kind of confused here, the housing seems to be in the way to get a real accurate measurement

What did you guys do?

I know this is a stupid question and i am just misunderstanding the instructions i think. I just want to make sure i get it right!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You take the measurements with the arms off the rig. After I marked a line on the arm I used two bolts that were about the same dia as the stock ones and put them through the stock bushings. I welded the bolts to a piece of flat stock. Then I lined up the front OME bushing to the line on the arm and used the jig to correctly space the second one. I pressed the bushings in with the jig in place. Works slick, got the idea from Slee's site.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cruiser Ken said:
You take the measurements with the arms off the rig. After I marked a line on the arm I used two bolts that were about the same dia as the stock ones and put them through the stock bushings. I welded the bolts to a piece of flat stock. Then I lined up the front OME bushing to the line on the arm and used the jig to correctly space the second one. I pressed the bushings in with the jig in place. Works slick, got the idea from Slee's site.
Thanks for the tip. The instructions specifically say to mark the vertical line when they are on the rig and its on level ground. I understand taking the C/C=X measurements when its off the rig, but my question is about the other one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cruiser Ken said:
Hmmm, I did it off the rig, just like their drawing shows, guess I should have read more closely.
Did you notice a big improvement? The instructions dont make much sense to me, do the bushings flex that much, that it makes a difference if there is weight on it, seems it should be a tight measurement regardless if it is on the truck or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yes, prior to the bushing change I had negative caster and it drove like crap. Afterward I had about +1 caster and it drives OK. I'm thinking of going to Slee's caster correction brackets instead and adding the J-springs. I'd like to have more caster than I get with the OME bushings and I'd also like the flex of the stock bushings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts