Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the finishing touches on my ring and pinion swap and the specs say to torque the pinion nut to 200 ft lbs. whenever I get it that tight the thing doesn't turn. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The outer bearing shim stack is too thin. I suggest you pop that bearing out and make sure you haven't damaged the tapered needles or the race.

cmk

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if you're using a solid spacer you have too much pinion bearing preload.. so much in fact you can't turn the pinion.. remove pinion bearing preload shims till 200 ft.lbs. gets you your spec in the pinion bearing preload department..

if you're using a crush sleeve... OOPS!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried it both ways. I had it were I only had .0003 in shims and now I have .006 I'v been doing alittle research and it looks like I might need to give the pinion a tap and to see if the bearing is set all the way.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
krankitup said:
I have tried it both ways. I had it were I only had .0003 in shims and now I have .006 I'v been doing alittle research and it looks like I might need to give the pinion a tap and to see if the bearing is set all the way.
Ok ill be the first to ask,

"what axle you working on"

So based on no information id say try more shim...

In fact id try alot more and work it in from the other direction and NOT ruin things... ?

-yag

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
zukipuke said:

Ok ill be the first to ask,

"what axle you working on"

So based on no information id say try more shim...

In fact id try alot more and work it in from the other direction and NOT ruin things... ?

-yag
Yep, what axle?

I'd be willing to bet that bearing is unhappy at this point. You need to measure the drag on the pinion (alone) with an in-lb torque wrench...

You do know that, right?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a d44, I haven't even torqed it down to 200 lbs yet, It gets too tight so I just stop. The bearing is fine, I've checked it out.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Increase the preload shim stack by a LOT and then work down ... removing shims, not adding them until you get the drag you want.

cmk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I got it, finaly ended up with .0085 in shims. That is almost 3 times what the stock one had on it. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts