Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of birfield and longfields a couple years back, Are these the axle stubs on the frontend, like these are a different type of ujoint. I just looked at a freinds four runner with a solid sitting out in his yard with no tires on it. It looked like a closed knuckle because they do not have ears like the Danas.
Pics to explain this shite?

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Birfs are a solid axle toyota (also Zuk, and rover i think) cv type joint. It does the same thing as a ujoint, allowing the steering wheels to actually turn. It is an axle stub. The reason you hear about them a lot is because they become a weak link when larger tires, front locker, low gearing, and high torque/HP come into play. Enter the Longfields...These are a specially treated birfield manufactured by Bobby Long, who is a vendor on this board. You can check out their products at Longfields.

Oh yeah...Birfs can be broken in stock form as well due to careless driving and mostly occur when backing up at full turning lock due to stress on the joint. Careful driving can prevent most breakages (in MOST cases), but Longfields are cheap insurance.
HTH:D

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
:flipoff2:

I've got pics of 10-12 different birfs....busted and not....including Longfields, Newfields, mintruck birfs, cruiser fine birfs, cruiser coarse birfs...

scary....

from the left, #1 is a coarse, #2 is a 77, #3 is a 84, #4 is a Newfield. The one above is a Longfield.

:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The axleshaft end, not the stub is round like those in the pics but it has two holes on the top and bottom, it looks like its for a ujoint. So what is this one called, its on a 84 fourrunner.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
MikeW said:
The axleshaft end, not the stub is round like those in the pics but it has two holes on the top and bottom, it looks like its for a ujoint. So what is this one called, its on a 84 fourrunner.
Thanks
um.. Broke, maybe?? :confused:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
MikeW said:
Thanks
84 4-runner uses the identical birfield and inner shaft as a minitruck, Cruiser, etc. It will look like the pics above.

Perhaps you are seeing the upper/lower holes in the outer axle housing which hold the trunion bearings and around which the steering knuckle rotates.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Here's my guess: You're thinkin that the end of the axlehousing it's self is part of the axle joint. Am I right?:

This is the INNER KNUCKLE on the toyota axle:

Then birfield joint fits inside of it:

A shot of my partially reasssembled front end during rebuild. The axle housing, steering arm, inner and outer knuckle, and birfield are all visible here:

It's a common pis conception about closed-knuckle axles. :rolleyes: ... the ball you can see here is NOT the birfield. It's the knuckle. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TNToy said:
Here's my guess: You're thinkin that the end of the axlehousing it's self is part of the axle joint. Am I right?:

This is the INNER KNUCKLE on the toyota axle:

Thanks thats what I was talking about, very interesting, thanks for explaining it to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts