Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I don't give two shakes about the Land Rover AM/FM stereo - I ran for about eight months I think without even bothering to put the code in.

But...since I'm cleaning the vehicle up to sell...a working stereo would likely help. So here's my issue:

I entered the code into the unit, and nothing. I hit button 4 (BNR I think) which is supposed to clear the code, and nothing happened. Annoying.

A few weeks back I went and scoured the battery compartment - I think it is now cleaner than when it rolled out of the factory - reinstalled the battery, etc. Last night I remembered the stereo, decided I'd try it again with the code. I powered it on and was greeted by this:

-- -- -- --

Four double-dashes. That's it. It doesn't respond to anything - will only turn on and off.

I would really rather not invest in a stereo unit for something I'm planning on selling in July. Any ideas? Any magical buttons to hit? At the worst, is anyone selling their stock radio?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hey,
check the dealer, with the vin. They should be able to give you the code.

j

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redrangie said:
Hey,
check the dealer, with the vin. They should be able to give you the code.

j
Right. That's just the thing - I can't even enter a code. It doesn't do anything but mock me with those dashes. I've tried holding in just about every button on it for thirty seconds. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

I even tried flicking it off. That almost worked.

I'm at a loss. It's getting power, but its being a bastard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
how long did you leave the battery disconnected for?
Try leaving it disconnected for 1 hour (or more)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
It's in theft lock. There is a procedure, but I don't remember it. I was the single most requested think when I wrote service. Call the service advisor at the local dealer they should remember.
j

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool - I'll try that, thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you holding the BND button for several seconds? That was the key as I remember to getting another chance to enter the number. I had to go to the dealer with the stereo to get a code, the VIN gave the wrong code.

This is off of the D-90.com FAQ:

* Switch on the unit by pressing the On/Off button. ("Code In" appears in the display.)

* Enter the correct security code by pressing the numbered buttons (the six rectangular buttons with numbers on them) in the the right order.

* When the correct code has been entered, the display will show the radio frequency and the radio will operate.

* (and it has a procedure to follow if the wrong code has been entered: press and hold the BND/4 button for approx. 3 secs. at which point CODE IN appears on the display. Now enter the correct code.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
landrover108 said:
how long did you leave the battery disconnected for?
Try leaving it disconnected for 1 hour (or more)
That's what I had to do.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've gone through this a couple of times when I've had a brain fart entering the code. I left it on for an hour (i.e. leave the truck and radio on) and it cleared. Then re-enter the code. YMMV

Tony

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay – there seems to be some confusion here – so a brief history of the stupid radio seems in order.

After months of back and forth, decide that selling a Defender and buying a Range Rover can result in thousands of dollars in profit. Decide that buyer may want working radio. Crap, no radio code.

Go to dealer to get code, dealer distrustful because I am in the daily driver. I finally find salesperson who snaps at service person. Get code.

Go home and enter code (following D-90 FAQ procedure). Radio station does not appear, as it has in past. Rather, the four number code remains displayed. Dismayed, I hit button 4 (BND or whatever it is). Three seconds elapse, then nine, then eighty two. Nothing. Owner gives radio the finger.

Ask advice on D-90 list. Told about button 4 (again). Told to disconnect battery – it makes radio happy. Disconnect battery, remove battery, remove all sorts of accessories (winch, lights, CB, compressor relay), clean battery compartment, reinstall battery, turn vehicle on. Battery actually out of vehicle for probably seven hours.

Drive around for awhile before remembering stereo. Hit power on. Met with four double dashes. No buttons, save power button, responsive, even when held down for extended periods of time. Can’t even get chance for entering code. Owner gives radio the finger. Owner tries disconnecting battery again, to no avail.

Owner asks advice on PBB.

My problem is that it doesn’t respond at all to any buttons. I’ve tried everything short of leaving it on for an hour (which I think I’ve done…but I haven’t timed it or anything). Red – is there a different “theft lock” clearance than hitting BND/4?

·
Registered
494 Posts
After 3 or4 tries of putting the wrong codes it the radio will lock up. You have to leave the ignition on for 1 hour before you will be able to enter the right code. I had this problem in the 110, i called a buddy at the dealership and he said to give that a try and it worked.

Brad

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The system does have to be removed from power for 1 hr. I have seen them lock. Personally, if I were selling it, and I was going through this much pain, I would go down to my local BestBuy, by a deck for 100.00 and have them install it for free. Problem solved, and we all know bling sells.

j

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
redrangie said:
by a deck for 100.00 and have them install it for free. Problem solved, and we all know bling sells.

j
having had the pleasure of installing an aftermarket deck in a 1997 LR product, i can say that it would not be problem solved.

the LR head unit has a built in amp, so thats what you need first. then, because of land rover's :rainbow: way of wiring things, you need an adapter from crutchfield that has more spaghetti wiring coming out of it than you could imagine. weird, unlabeled wires and more present themselves to be dealt with.

it is not fun, and most certainly not easy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
aftermarket head unit PITA?

Ive got an Alpine system in my 98 Disco, and its not THAT hard to install as long as you know a little bit about wiring...

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Re: aftermarket head unit PITA?

landrover108 said:
Ive got an Alpine system in my 98 Disco, and its not THAT hard to install as long as you know a little bit about wiring...
I ripped out the POS stock stuff too. Sold the amp,deck.changer for 375.00. A 160 watt Alpine deck and 6 disk MP3 Changer was 400.00!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts