Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building 1.3L/VW transaxle combo for a sand car. My engine is on a stand in the garage, is it normal for the carb (Weber 32/36) to lean way to the passenger side and slightly forward? Like can a manifold warp like that? I searched....

·
Registered
583 Posts
Interesting combo. If you can post a pic , but my webber on 1.3 sits relatively flat no tilt. The madifiolds do not warp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I'm building 1.3L/VW transaxle combo for a sand car. My engine is on a stand in the garage, is it normal for the carb (Weber 32/36) to lean way to the passenger side and slightly forward? Like can a manifold warp like that? I searched....
Is the engine sitting on the stand in the same position as it would in a Samurai? Does the engine, when bolted into the Samurai, lean towards the drivers side and slightly back? That would account for what you are describing.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine is mounted stock location in a samauri. The valve cover sits flat left to right front to back as dose the carb.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I believe the engine sits back at a slight angle to flatten everything out... but your carb will work at that angle...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unrelated, but weber's suck on steep inclines and descents. At least in my experience. I've heard there's a couple tricks to modify the float to prevent it, but from all the research I've done, it doesn't help tremendously.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I was really happy with a 34 VW one barel carb. washboard and steep slopes don't bother it like the webber. The webber has better acceleration but is good only for street. I installed many webbers on everything immaginal mostly as a fix for electronic feedback carbs and dead efi. The VW carb is great offroad but requires studying the VW adjustment method.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Unrelated, but weber's suck on steep inclines and descents. At least in my experience. I've heard there's a couple tricks to modify the float to prevent it, but from all the research I've done, it doesn't help tremendously.

Weber carbs + off road:
Best mod is to snorkel the air idle jets, fuel splashing up on them from the fuel bowl causes the engine to cut out.

You can also just seal off the air idle jet chamber from the fuel bowl too, just make sure to vent the fuel bowl.

Other mods:
Switch to plastic floats
Run the fuel level in the bowl slightly lower.
Run a pressure regulator, drop to lower fuel pressure on the trail.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That angle is normal, when the engine is mounted in the Sammy it levels the carb.
I hated the Weber absolutely terrible off road carb. Got tired of trying to make it work and switched to propane. It can run upside down now.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have had not one issue with the webber carb, it will be great in the sand and hills. Not experience with rock crawling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts