Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jumped a TJ 4 feet and bent front axle. Sunk the same TJ in 3 ft of water and got coal, water, and fish in everything. Took dealer days to flush it all out.

My buddy beat my jump with a 6 footer in an xj (i was in back so this counts) and it literally folded like a taco. Crumples, bends, warps, and waves all over the jeep. He drove it 2 hours home with angled wheels.
Did that in my 1980 K-5 , broke the front differential completely in half , but it worked in the commercial , lol.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Well I guess we found out who wheels and who doesn’t in gcc :flipoff2:
My offroad experiences are so tame and wimpy that they simply don't belong on PBB and I admit it. There's still a quality threshold to pass and I'm not over it here.

I once drove a Toyota pickup across one row of apples because I got lost and spotted a road. No I don't make a habit of driving on people's land and fucking up their crops, but I spotted a road and took my chance.

Ended up with a bed full of wonderful Washington apples which I ate and gave out to my friends. Made an applie pie too. Sorry farmer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My offroad experiences are so tame and wimpy that they simply don't belong on PBB and I admit it. There's still a quality threshold to pass and I'm not over it here.

I once drove a Toyota pickup across one row of apples because I got lost and spotted a road. No I don't make a habit of driving on people's land and fucking up their crops, but I spotted a road and took my chance.

Ended up with a bed full of wonderful Washington apples which I ate and gave out to my friends. Made an applie pie too. Sorry farmer.
It’s okay, you are clearly not alone. Just you are willing to be honest.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Lit the tires up on the EB getting on the freeway in Sacramento, throttle stuck wide open, it went sideways and put the passenger front corner into the concrete overpass bending the frame:homer:

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
When I was 16 I decided to take my new to me 83 Olds Cutlass off roading. Drove it down the power line trails for 1/2hr or so like I was running the Baja 500. Car did way better than I expected on the trails so I decided to climb a huge hill with it...... Got me a 3-400ft run at the base of the hill, hit the first whoop before the hill, launched the car into the air a foot or two and proceeded to nose dive it into the side of the hill. Car came to an abrupt stop and was buried bumper deep in the dirt nose first. I tried "rocking" it by slamming it from R to D with my foot to the floor to get it unstuck.:rolleyes: Ended up digging the rear of the car in up to the bumper and overheating the transmission...... It took me 6hrs of digging with a piece of cardboard, jacking it up with the bumper jack and stacking sticks under the rear tires to get myself out. Car drove, sounded and smelled all kinds of fucked up on the ride home that night. The next day I took it to my buddies work and put it on the lift to find out WTF was going on. The exhaust from the rear axle to the Y pipe was crushed flat including the cat & muffler, the oil pan was crushed up into the crank and leaking, trans pan was crushed, tail housing on the trans was broken and leaking, crossmember was bashed and the trans mount was torn in half. Sold it for scrap a week later and ended up buying my first 4x4.

Other than a 72 Camaro I had for a while as a toy, I have never owned another car. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Went out wheeling on a Tuesday night after work in fresh 18” of snow. Should’ve quit while I was ahead. But I went in deeper and fell through some ice into a deep mud hole. Engine hydrolocked right away. Tried to recover myself but had zero luck getting my winch to budge me.

We got a good dump that day.

I walked to cell reception, made a rescue call and returned to my rig to try to recover myself as best as I could. I was frozen in by the time help arrived a few hours later. My father trashed his power wagon trying to follow my track and get to me. But he got me out. Missed 2 days of work after and got minor frost bite in my feet trying to stay warm and recover myself. Recovery took about 9 hours to go 2 miles.

Here’s my truck in the hole, the warn 12000 lb power wagon winch was stalling trying to pull me out. It was a nightmare. But I got out safe and my dog just had a long day sitting in the truck.

Muddy Water got about 10” into the cab and it was a process just to clean that out. Everything underneath was packed with mud.

During recovery after the sun came up-

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Damm that’s a nice work truck.

front d60 kp 4.10 gears
springless hi steer arms
bronze kp bushings
steering angle is maxing out the axle shafts just before they bind
56" f550 superduty factory leafs(3) up front
7/8x3/4" heim track bar(steering is tight like a brand new truck)
2x4x1/4" spring hanger
boxed frame around the relocated through the frame shackles
toy drive shaft
bilstein 5100 12" travel

rear 14b 72"wms dually thick casting and axle tubes
4.10 gears with ARB
63" chevy leafs out of a dually with overload leafs
custom shackle flip and frt spring mounts
bilstein 5100 10" travel

nv4500 rebuilt with upgraded output(have a nv5600 im gonna swap in)
southbend clutch
np205 32 spline outputs frt/rr
second gen inter cooler
fuel pin and 3200rpm spring
dual batteries(one is mounted to the frame inside of the rear pass tire)

1/4" - 1/2" wall boxed bumpers front and rear
18k pound winch up front
1/4" wall rock sliders/steps/fender bars
2x2 3/16" lumber rack forklift loadable
2k capacity crane
air bags all 4 corners(top mounted only so doesnt limit down travel)
bucket seats out of a mini van
37" hummer tires(boggers are temporary only when needed in winter)
TWF hummer bead locks W/PVC in the rear(need a pair for the front now)

lives 80% of its life running around the dirt roads in those hills you see in the back ground of that picture above

some day im gonna do a 67-72 ford cab swap with a custom built boxed tube frame

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I've always gotten lucky and drove home. Scariest one was right after moving to CO. I had my old 92 Exploder on 31's and was just out driving around on some old abandoned roads in some BLM land. Decided it was getting late and since no one knew where I was (before everyone had cell phones) I better head home. I knew which direction the highway was so I took the first road I found heading that way. It turned out to be a mistake. I was on top of a mesa. The road started dropping off the side and as I made a left turn past the point of full commitment it turned into a shelf road cut into the side of the hill barely wide enough for me to fit. At this point I had no choice but to go down as the road was loose enough I couldn't back up. The further down I drove the rockier the road got. I made it about 3/4 of the way down and the road disappeared. I got out and walked ahead to scout a path that I thought would get me to the bottom. As I started going again I was side hilling on the loose top soil when the ground gave and I started sliding sideways. I slid around 5 feet waiting for the thing to start rolling, but got lucky and the slider hooked a 2 foot tall tree and stopped the slide. I was able to use the tree as a pivot and turned the front back down hill. I had a clear path to the bottom so I just went for it. Made it down only to find a barbwire fence and a herd of cows wondering who the hell I was. My only choice at that point was to cut the fence and drive through into the field. Got back out and fixed the fence then hauled ass across the field blowing through the ranchers driveway and out onto the highway hoping not to get caught. A few years later I met the owner of the property through a mutual friend and told him the story. He laughed and thanked me for not leaving the fence open.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
I broke SOS in Johnson Valley...or rather it broke me and fully half the rigs on the trail that day.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Built a 4400 car in 59 days then take it from NY to JV with 0 miles on it only to Roll it on turn 2 of qualifying then go about 10 miles in the main race before all those kinks we didn't work out ended our day?

What do I win?

It's for sale cheep now and the kinks seem to be gone.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts