Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
Built a 4400 car in 59 days then take it from NY to JV with 0 miles on it only to Roll it on turn 2 of qualifying then go about 10 miles in the main race before all those kinks we didn't work out ended our day?

What do I win?

It's for sale cheep now and the kinks seem to be gone.
for sell? damn, are you building something else or just taking a break for a good bit?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

front d60 kp 4.10 gears
springless hi steer arms
bronze kp bushings
steering angle is maxing out the axle shafts just before they bind
56" f550 superduty factory leafs(3) up front
7/8x3/4" heim track bar(steering is tight like a brand new truck)
2x4x1/4" spring hanger
boxed frame around the relocated through the frame shackles
toy drive shaft
bilstein 5100 12" travel

rear 14b 72"wms dually thick casting and axle tubes
4.10 gears with ARB
63" chevy leafs out of a dually with overload leafs
custom shackle flip and frt spring mounts
bilstein 5100 10" travel

nv4500 rebuilt with upgraded output(have a nv5600 im gonna swap in)
southbend clutch
np205 32 spline outputs frt/rr
second gen inter cooler
fuel pin and 3200rpm spring
dual batteries(one is mounted to the frame inside of the rear pass tire)

1/4" - 1/2" wall boxed bumpers front and rear
18k pound winch up front
1/4" wall rock sliders/steps/fender bars
2x2 3/16" lumber rack forklift loadable
2k capacity crane
air bags all 4 corners(top mounted only so doesnt limit down travel)
bucket seats out of a mini van
37" hummer tires(boggers are temporary only when needed in winter)
TWF hummer bead locks W/PVC in the rear(need a pair for the front now)

lives 80% of its life running around the dirt roads in those hills you see in the back ground of that picture above

some day im gonna do a 67-72 ford cab swap with a custom built boxed tube frame

Damm dude is there a build thread on this? That has more work then a lot of wheeling rigs. What do you do for work?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Went out wheeling on a Tuesday night after work in fresh 18” of snow. Should’ve quit while I was ahead. But I went in deeper and fell through some ice into a deep mud hole. Engine hydrolocked right away. Tried to recover myself but had zero luck getting my winch to budge me.

We got a good dump that day.

I walked to cell reception, made a rescue call and returned to my rig to try to recover myself as best as I could. I was frozen in by the time help arrived a few hours later. My father trashed his power wagon trying to follow my track and get to me. But he got me out. Missed 2 days of work after and got minor frost bite in my feet trying to stay warm and recover myself. Recovery took about 9 hours to go 2 miles.

Here’s my truck in the hole, the warn 12000 lb power wagon winch was stalling trying to pull me out. It was a nightmare. But I got out safe and my dog just had a long day sitting in the truck.

Muddy Water got about 10” into the cab and it was a process just to clean that out. Everything underneath was packed with mud.

During recovery after the sun came up-

That sucks. Good luck with the hydrolock. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
for sell? damn, are you building something else or just taking a break for a good bit?
There are 2 answers to that...

1. I put 20k miles on my hauler and raced the entire country from Feb - June of '18 and got totally burned out. It was a crazy time with my family I'll never forget. But it made me want nothing to do with the car.... I don't touch it and don't want to.

2. started trail riding my rzr's a ton. on a whim I took one racing and had a blast. having way more fun. A year of racing my rzr cost me less than race prepping my 4400 for a single race. I just totaled a rzr playing and don't care I have insurance. Where as a totaled 4400 car would cost me 6 figures.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
In the years before Tread Lightly, and all the trail closures, I went swamp bogging thru a swamp. +1 for the traction of Detroit Lockers and Super Swampers. -10 for having to deal with rotting swamp grass, swamp mud, and dead frog guts and fish gill and the SMELL... God that smell. I still have burnt nasal cavities and it's been nearly 30 years. Never again. NEVER. (1985 or so)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Got stuck behind a locked gate up near the ski resorts near Wrightwood.I had a Datsun,buddy had a F250.A little snow on the ground,so the only way out was to drive down the main run.A little slick but not too bad,right?
Problem was,he had no brakes so we chained his truck to the front of mine.About 50 ft into this little downhill adventure,I had the sudden realization that this was not a good idea.My brakes were not holding very well and even with him in reverse,things got out of hand in a hurry.He went sideways,I had no choice but to follow.
We got 3 full 360 loops in before the slope started to level out,and we got stopped.Pretty much a big game of crack the whip in slow motion.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Damm dude is there a build thread on this? That has more work then a lot of wheeling rigs. What do you do for work?
no build thread but ive posted some pics here before, i do a lot of different(welding/fab/construction) things for work but my main gig at the moment is developing a few different big acre rural properties

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
Got stuck behind a locked gate up near the ski resorts near Wrightwood.I had a Datsun,buddy had a F250.A little snow on the ground,so the only way out was to drive down the main run.A little slick but not too bad,right?
Problem was,he had no brakes so we chained his truck to the front of mine.About 50 ft into this little downhill adventure,I had the sudden realization that this was not a good idea.My brakes were not holding very well and even with him in reverse,things got out of hand in a hurry.He went sideways,I had no choice but to follow.
We got 3 full 360 loops in before the slope started to level out,and we got stopped.Pretty much a big game of crack the whip in slow motion.
:laughing:

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I think we have a winner!:laughing:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Went wheeling with some buddies back in high school. Was in east county San Diego in a location that shall not be named, but was fun for all the locals to go back in with motos, 4x4s, quads, etc.

It was summer, so no top or doors on my jeep, and we had been picking stupid lines through some deep washouts and rain ruts for fun. My buddy gets out to pee, and pisses right on a yellow jacket's nest. He comes running with a cloud of hornets behind him yelling "BEES! LETS GOOOOOO!"

For some reason(spoiler alert- am idiot), I have had bad luck with bees/wasps in the past and am pretty much over getting stung ever again in my life. Seeing my buddy vault into the passenger seat with a cloud of angry stingers behind him flipped the fuckit switch in my head and I went full 2wd 5K clutch drop while whipping my shit around the other way as fast as possible. This led to an extremely bumpy drift across several large rain ruts. I think I made it about a 1/4 mile and 3rd gear before we both calmed down.

As I turn around, I notice that my rear axle now has about a foot of lateral movement. Get out and check.. sure enough I tore off the panhard bar and one upper link at the frame and a lower link at the rear axle. Limped it home at 20 mph on a 2 link and had to explain to my parents that I needed a ride to school for the next few days until new link brackets showed up in the mail.

Derp.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I did a volunteer trail clean up at raush creek off road park, just cutting trees back and picking up trash. So it was a non wheeling event, but I ended up flopping my jeep anyway....

+

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
My submission. :laughing:

Mis-judged where the trail went and went across the ice in a deeper spot than I had intended.

That was a fun afternoon. Drained water out of the motor, dried the HEI on the dash of my buddies rig and it fired up and made it back to the trailer.

·
Hophead
77,607 Posts
New Years Eve, I believe right before they closed the rivers down in Texas. Didn't think the pool was this deep here, front end dropped off ledge and things got cold and wet quick. The kid on the back was a friends son who had been in passenger seat, he bailed quick when we started to go in. I yelled at him to freeze, I was afraid him jumping off the back would send me all the way in LOL

We pulled it out, pulled plugs, shot water out of engine, plugs back in and wheeled the rest of the day and drove it home :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
The truck I've done the majority of my stupid shit in is my POS Ranger.

First time wheelin it stock on PR78-16 Buckshots with blown belts, I laid it on its passenger door trying to make it up a shitty ravine. Tore the motor mounts out that day, the motor moved so much it would pop the brake booster line off, and rev up and take off with no brakes. Zip tied a piece of duct tape over the vacuum nipple and sent it all day. Drove it home after hooking the vacuum back up and babying it.

Took it out before work one day, now with 4.56s, Lincoln locked rear, and decent 35 Mud Kings, and a winch with blown solenoids. Nose dove into a mud hole deeper than it looked. With an extra battery cable and a set of jumper cables, hot wired the winch, rode the truck out sitting on the core support touching wires together.

Buddy blew one of the ecu modules out of his F250 while taking a girl out wheelin, calls me, I drug him out of the trail, but there was a steep decent to the bottom of a hill, chained myself to the back of him, pushed him to get him going, and was the anchor all the way down, low range hard on the brakes.

Tore the truck down while building another, so it was a field bomber with no front diff, locked scout rear with 4.88s, and some haggard ass 39.5 TSLs. Same buddy with the F250 buried it while home on leave, nobody could pull him out. Went home, Jumped the field bomber, drove it with no plates there, drove it down this icy shitty trail to where he was, 2nd gear 2.9 valve float the entire time. Hooked up the winch and had him out in 2 seconds.

Truck was sorta rebuilt, with a narrowed 44HP up front, spools front and rear, still a junk ass 2.9, and 38s. Out bombing around alone in the winter, got lost, and when I realized I was in a real shitty spot in this trail with 5' deep water holes in places, I broke through the ice, probably 3' deep, deep enough I couldn't open the door. Knew it was a pretty decent trench, with walls so to speak, dialed hard right, dropped the clutch and it climbed out somehow.

Theres some more for sure

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had done something to my samurai that required turning the motor over slowly (set valves maybe). Got done, went wheelin. Hour later I'm just getting back on the road and it dies, won't start. The sun is setting as I open the hood and start looking around. 10 minutes later I notice the bolt that goes in the crank pully is gone. I had forgotten to take the ratchet wrench of that bolt before leaving. Had to call my brother to tow me home. The worst part was finding another bolt and weird metric socket I had lost.

Not me but funny. I'm in shop class in high school and at least an hour and a half after lunch this kid rolls in with mud up to his chest. Apparently he went mudding during lunch and got his stock 80s bronco in too deep. I thought it was funny because he was the type of kid that acted like his shit was better than it was.

Other stupid thing I did was when I was 18 I loaded up the neigbor kids in my suburban and hit the local gravel pit which had recently changed hands. The new owners didn't like trespassers unlike the old. I had 2 drunk hicks and sheriffs surrounding my truck within 10 minutes of havin some fun. I got off because they told the guys they would cite them with drunk driving if they pressed any charges against me. I had a lot of parents angry at me that night though.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts