Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok sounds really dumb, but me and a buddy were arguing over shock boots. is it better to keep them on? or does it not matter, and take them off?? might i add, Tucson, AZ so no real water...
thanx!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Go look at pics of any rig on here. Nobody who actually wheels runs em. Only the mall crawlers do. All they do is collect crap and keep it right next to the seals on the shaft, hidden and constantly wearing on it. Bottem line, trash em.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Use them to work on your basketball game....
1. put all four shock covers on ground
2. place trash can 40' away
3. pick up shock cover and line up with trash can
4. flick wrist in an upward and outward motion toward trash can
5. adjust for angle/windage and repeat steps 3 through 5

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
i've got a bunch in my garage. i don't know why i keep them around. the dog chew toy sounds like a good idea. i don't think i've ever used shock boots.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hero said:
Go look at pics of any rig on here. Nobody who actually wheels runs em. Only the mall crawlers do. All they do is collect crap and keep it right next to the seals on the shaft, hidden and constantly wearing on it. Bottem line, trash em.

ok sounds good.. now i feel kinda dumb, cuz i have them on and want them off. but everybody said it would fawk them up. well i have a new morning project to add... first finish tube doors, then stupid shock boots :D

thanx guys

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've always thought the same as above for wheelin', but here in Montana the local road crews use dirt mixed with some magnesium stuff for dusting snow and ice covered roads all winter long. The mag stuff eats at near anything the tires throw it on. Causes minor rust unless you don't wash the vehicle regularly. Then major rust can happen. So I've left my shock boots on to keep that mag stuff from attacking the rubber seals and maybe the shafts themselves. The boot holes let drainage occur some. I notice most of the above respondents are from warm weather locales. As a snow country driver, have I left the shock boots on for no good reason?

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
4x4Poet said:
As a snow country driver, have I left the shock boots on for no good reason?
Yep. All that salt and crap still gets in, and it sits on the shaft because the boot traps it in. We get plenty of snow in IL, and I absolutely will not run shock boots.

I used to run them, thinking that I was getting some protection, but the reality is that nothing but bad can come from running them.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I added 2 Ranchos to front of my rig with the boots on. I thought they looked pretty! :D

Went wheeling in the local mud hole afterwards. I cleaned up my rig and haven't been in a mud hole since. About a year later, I needed to remove the shocks, as soon as I touched the boots, mud came pouring out from the previous year. :shaking: :D No more pretty boots for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blind Driver said:
I added 2 Ranchos to front of my rig with the boots on. I thought they looked pretty! :D

Went wheeling in the local mud hole afterwards. I cleaned up my rig and haven't been in a mud hole since. About a year later, I needed to remove the shocks, as soon as I touched the boots, mud came pouring out from the previous year. :shaking: :D No more pretty boots for me.
yea i've had that happen a few times, its sick..

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Time to take a look. Worth a few tie wraps either way. And what if what I find bucks the trend and I choose, God forbid, to ignore advice from PBB posters? :eek::p

I was always careful to place the boot drain holes at the lowest drain point, so I don't expect to find a column of mud, but wouldn't that be juicy?:laughing:

I'll be pulling them from 5-position rancho 9000s that have been on my DD K20 Sub thru every Montana winter since 94. Should be interesting. I'll post the results. Don't care if it's not in my favor, since I hate the ranchos. Sorry, no digicam.:(

Tim84K10 said:
Yep. All that salt and crap still gets in, and it sits on the shaft because the boot traps it in. We get plenty of snow in IL, and I absolutely will not run shock boots...[/QUOTE

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in WA and it rains a lot here, so would it be safe to take off my shock boot ? or could it potentially cause problems with the shaft/rust?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The boot will cause more problems than not having one. The boot traps the moisture inside and won't let it air out whereas not having one it will air dry no matter what. Trust the PBB on this one dude.

Phil

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how about everybody goes out and takes them off right now!? j/k
thanx guys

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
forum95 said:
I live in WA and it rains a lot here, so would it be safe to take off my shock boot ? or could it potentially cause problems with the shaft/rust?
They don't drain; instead they trap moisture, mud, etc. which will rust the shaft. Boots are :rainbow: and they make your ass look fat. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts