Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing a 10" lift that a previous owner put on my '79 chevy k20, and replacing it with stock springs. I've removed the driver's side rear spring and block combination, and am about to put on the stock spring. On the spring perch there is a short (maybe half inch or so) pin in the middle. Looks like it went up into the lift block a bit to help locate the spring/block on the axle.

Since I'm going with stock height, I don't have a lift block. Does this pin come out? I really haven't tried to remove it yet, but I'm guessing it comes out, and then the center pin on the new springs will drop into the hole to locate the spring on the axle?

Also, the guy I got the set of stock springs from through in four overload leaves. Would I just get new center pins and bolt the extra leave to the bottom of each spring pack (one on each corner using clamps to keep it together)? I know these are really newbie questions, but this is the first suspension swap I've done.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I've never heard of a pin that attaches to the spring perch. Normally, they are a part of the block and simply locate the block in the stock perch hole. However, if you have a pin in the spring perch, remove it so you have a hole there for the stock pin to sit in.

And yes, if you want to add overloads, just remove the stock pins, install the overloads on the bottom of the spring pack, and install new, slightly longer pins. All simple stuff.

Congrats BTW, on the good judgement to remove the 10" :)shaking:) lift. I can't say I'd drop it all the way back down to stock though... c'mon man! I'm guessing tow-rig?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the pin is in the perch. I'm guessing it just sits in there, and a couple hits with a hammer will get it out. the old blocks had a hole in the center that sat on this pin, and the center pin (I'm guessing since I haven't looked yet) bolts through the block to the spring.

i'll stop by napa here in a few and see if they have some pins so i can add in the add-a-leaves.

and positrack, this truck will basically just be a work truck (firewood, pulling a trailer, hauling gravel, etc). Its got 33's on it now (and yes, it looks really stupid with the lift), so it should look better lowered.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Its got 33's on it now (and yes, it looks really stupid with the lift), so it should look better lowered.

10" of lift and 33s!? WOW...:shaking: I'm running 4" leaves on 35s ('76 GMC longbed) and have no intention of going more than maybe 1" higher (might put 37s on when these 35s go). Makes you wonder what people are thinking...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, it used to have 40" gumbo mudders, then i got a sidewall leak so i switched to some 39.5" boggers. those vibrated the hell out of the truck, and i decided to lower it so i sold the boggers and bought some 33's. should look much better in another week or two.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you going to be able to use those driveshafts after you lower it?

and lift blocks on the front is just terrifing :eek:
i'm hoping they'll work, but kinda doubt it (I'd imagine the PO had to have them lengthened). I'm not too concerned though, as there's a machine shop not too far away that is pretty reasonable. And getting them shortened is much cheaper than adding length.

and no front blocks. the blocks were only on the rear. i haven't started tearing the front apart yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts