Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought Ruffstuffs 1 ton GM y link steering and changed my mind after drilling 7/8 holes in the knuckles. Ruffstuff does have a 78x78set of heims but I was told I would have to make my own spacers? I am keeping the 1.5" od .250 wall tubing. Are there correct spacers available? If not can I use something like this https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/3152505
To reduce the hole or would it cause problems?

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ruffstuff washer is what you want. It is meant to be welded. The fastenal picture looks like it is a hardened bushing not meant to be welded. The Ruffstuff washer will also widen the bolted length that will make for a stronger connection.
How about loctite 680 for the hardened bushings?

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I ordered a couple.
Just be aware that it’s not normally recommended to weld C1144 (what that bushing is made of). Plenty of anecdotes where it’s welded and nuns don’t die, but the sulfur content makes welding difficult. I’ve seen it recommended to use a low-hy rod (7018) to help reduce hydrogen sulfide porosity.

Metal Stock, Inc. - C1144 Stressproof Info.

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Just be aware that it’s not normally recommended to weld C1144 (what that bushing is made of). Plenty of anecdotes where it’s welded and nuns don’t die, but the sulfur content makes welding difficult. I’ve seen it recommended to use a low-hy rod (7018) to help reduce hydrogen sulfide porosity.

Metal Stock, Inc. - C1144 Stressproof Info.

From experience when welding dissimilar materials in a non structual aplication 211 inner shield wire works great

1 - 15 of 15 Posts