Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have an 83 2wd burb that is soon going to be 4wd. I have read the 4wd conversions and answered alot of my questions on the procedure but I still have some others that wernt covered. I want to make the swap a two or three weekend project because it is a daily driver, I was thinking that I could remove the 2wd parts and install the solid axle and items to get drivable and leave the tranny/tcase and drive shafts for another weekend. I am wondering if I could leave the 2wd crossmember in until later or am I going to have problems with axle contact? The other is can I remove the crossmember w/o having to completly remove the motor or can I just lift and block up the motor? I have the donor and it looks to be pretty straight forward of a swap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking a the 2wd it looks like the motor mont brackets are bolted to the 2wd crosmember so I will be removing the whole thing and installing the 4wd crossmember. I read here that I might be able to use the current th400 if I just remove and replace the tail housings, Is this correct, I thought that the output shafts were different lengths?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
look at it.

if its aluminum, you will not be able to use it with a 2wd th400.

if its a 203, you will have to change output shafts on the trans...

the np205 is specific to a short shaft 2wd output th400.

of course, there are adaptations that can make it work with a lot of different setups.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I did this with my crew cab never again
so also rember you will need to do a 2 " body lift to clear the center hump tranny and t case clearance and the rear drive shaft mount and length is different so you need to cut that out
+ + +
its a lot of work for stuff that is selling so cheep these days
hell i even have a 4x4 1987 burb frame in great shape id sell for 200
pm me if interested
outher wise best of luck
R

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that I would cut the 2wd hump out and weld in the 4wd tunnel. The tcase is a 208c. Will this work or am I giong to have to remove the trans from the donor with it, it is also a th400 but I was thinking that it would save time and trouble to just put the case on the th400 that is already in the truck.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
the out put shafts are different lengths. i believe the one for the np208 will be shorter then the one for the np205 i remember a few years back rebuilding a th400 that had a np208 behind it and trying to run a 205. the splines dont even reach the input.. so your either going to have to cut the output shaft(if thats even possible) or replace it which means removing the transmission anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts