Pirate 4x4 banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen a few xjs that have been mounted on frames in the sick ass xj post. it was just a few pics and was wondering if anyone new were to find a run down on how it was done. i remember reading a short description on here but nothing with details or pics. it seems like a good idea and fun project any info would be great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kewlkatdady said:
most of what I've seen is just sleeving the uni with c-channel.

Why are you wanting to "put in a frame"?
i just read the article that’s on here about it. im not for sure going to do it it just seems like it would give stronger places to mount front and rear shocks and other things that’s kind of why im asking about it just to see if its really worth it and what i could get out of it that you cant do as well with the unibody.
i just want to look into it further and find out more about it is all.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
terrible1 said:
i just read the article that’s on here about it. im not for sure going to do it it just seems like it would give stronger places to mount front and rear shocks and other things that’s kind of why im asking about it just to see if its really worth it and what i could get out of it that you cant do as well with the unibody.
i just want to look into it further and find out more about it is all.

your wanting to add a subframe just so you can relocate your shocks? :rolleyes: :shaking:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can relate, my rear shocks bolts have pulled themselves out plenty of times. I built a simplt c shaped clamp with 1/4" and drilled a hole through the side and bolted the c-clamp to the unibody and welded 1 1/2" dom tube to the clamps and welded some custom mounts for the shocks. One thing I've heard good things about is the XJ unibody stiffiners you can buy. They would be great attachment points for rock sliders !

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah lots of people have done subframes I will probably end up doing a chevy subframe on mine instead of boxing the frames that way all I gotta do is bolt the body to the frame or I may just build a ladder frame for it.
DIG IT
Do a search for subframe or boxing frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
GOD yes, before I stiffined up my unibody, tucking 35 boggers in the fenders would not let me open any of my doors or my rear hatch . That twisiting will also break factory welds and cause your junk to leak in the rain. I just ripped the carpet out and drilled holes in my floor and Herculined it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advise it sounds like a good idea I was planning on doing a 3 or four link and was worried about body twist so thanks once again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
creeprs said:
I built a complete subframe under mine, my 4 link rear hangs off of it, the reason? It prevent the twisting that unibodies have when flexing out,
do you have any pics by chance so i can get a better idea of what you have done
my email is [email protected] or you can post them here if you have any thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Search on www.naxja.org for sleeving the frame rails in the modified tech forum. Use 4"x6" .25 wall rectangular tubing, cut it in half length-wise to create two 4"x3"x3" c-channel sections. Cut each c-channel section into three parts to follow the contours of the sub-frame. Plate it from behind the LCA mount to in front of the leaf spring hanger. You'll need a 5-foot section. When you're done with that you'll have the hang enough to figure out the rear or forward sections if you still want more punishment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Havent got the pic's up yet but i simply bent up some 1/4" plate into a u shape drilled 5/8" holes through 2 sides and then drilled 5/8" holes through the side of the unibody and slid the bracket in place and bolted it up. Did that on each side in 4 places and welded 1.5" DOM tube for crossmembers. I also ran 1.5" DOM parallel to the unibody and tied the tube all together. works verry well !

·
Registered
419 Posts
I did some frame reinforcment with sleeving and a rear crossmember.
Not quite done, It will have attachements from the old leaf hangers to the new Crossmember, sleeved from bumper mount to crossmember.
Everything is still temp, mocked up and tack welded.

·
Registered
41 Posts
terrible1 said:
ive seen a few xjs that have been mounted on frames in the sick ass xj post. it was just a few pics and was wondering if anyone new were to find a run down on how it was done. i remember reading a short description on here but nothing with details or pics. it seems like a good idea and fun project any info would be great.

Remember the biggest part of subframing a XJ frame is to make sure and use lots of rossette welds. If you don't you aren't attaching the new metal to the existing frame with much stregth at all. It will be very weak in comparison to being rossette welded, alot! Other than that if you are doing frame reinforcement make sure to add a full cage to tie everything together. Once you start to reinforce the XJ unibody as much as a subframe type thing you need to keep going with the cage idea otherwise you can create some bigger stress points than you started with.

hinkley

BTW check out naxja you will find out lots of info on the unibody and how to mod to it.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Mark Hinkley said:
Atleast for pussies who can take a little sheit about their bird sheit welding!

:crybaby2:

hinkley
Fucker throws a fit on NAXJA, then flees over here? WTF does he expect from PBB a nice soft reacharound and a tall frothy glass of breastmilk?

Its just a matter of time before he's gets run off of here, and goes over to JU, and in all his glory, shows off his Kitty diarrhea welds... :shaking:

·
Registered
220 Posts
whats wrong owl?

are you still upset that naxja called you on your photoshopped weld job?

dude, relax. come to grips with the fact you were caught, and that you KNOW those welds sucked, and that you KNOW that you sounded retarded for saying "rosette welds are not needed" and you KNOW you were gonna catch hell for putting a huge rectangular tube directly UNDER your frame rail to act as a "snag all"

Improvement in your fabrication abilities and designs comes from self-realization, and your ability to listen to critique and become involved in a dialogue with people who know more than you.

WE ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU.

your "anti-naxja" sig is a joke, how disappointing.

have fun posting your pics in hopes you'll find a forum that will worship you instead of pointing out your mistakes.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.