Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while a question about the Subaru "Cybrid" system comes up... I finally found some info on line about it here scroll down to page 4.

I'm about to start the process of installing one to run the PS box on my 4-Runner. A little disection will be in order, to find out what makes this sucker tick. If anyone is interested in pics or more info, I'll be happy to post it.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
BAJowett said:
Once in a while a question about the Subaru "Cybrid" system comes up... I finally found some info on line about it here scroll down to page 4.

I'm about to start the process of installing one to run the PS box on my 4-Runner. A little disection will be in order, to find out what makes this sucker tick. If anyone is interested in pics or more info, I'll be happy to post it.

:) absolutely.

While I have no specific questions, it's always cool to cut/dismantle shiznit and see how it works:D

·
Registered
651 Posts
post all the info you gather. i plan on looking into it so i will have brakes with my hyro-boost when the motor stalls. would be a nice pcs of mind.

jim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The pump is in pieces.... very neat. The pump is cast iron/steel unit which is bolted to the motor with 4 bolts, the large pressure port holds the reservoir over the pump, and it seals around the perimeter of the motor. Pump internals are the same vane and rotor design as the Toyota pump, same rotor diameter and fin length (could be same manufacturer), but only about 1/3 of the depth. There is no flow control/pressure valve, those values must be based on motor speed alone. The Toyota pressure line will screw into the pressure port on the pump, but the port is not the inverted flare style, as is the Toyota hose, it will probably seal, though.

The motor is a VERY nice unit, built by Nikko Japan. Totally rebuildable. Nice big NGK bearings, brushes are a cinch to change, armature (sp?) has been balanced, drives the pump directly.

The whole unit appears to have been built to last.

There is a duty solinoid which controls the the ground voltage to motor.... Should not be difficult to figure out a simple way to control it.

Pictures as soon as I have time to post them to a web page.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
I'm plumbing one on to my Scout box now. The 16MM O-ring to JIC adapter was 9.00 at a local hydraulic shop.

So lets talk about power! There was a bunch of wires going to this thing. I was planning on using a constant duty solenoid to send power to it. I have the Subaru wiring diagram from Alldata and it makes little sense.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
A few questions,

Can you just go to the auto parts store and buy a new one? I heard in a previous post that they were like $250 new.

Can they be found in junkyards? I am guessing that they are almost impossible to find.

Would it be possible to connect a starter motor to a hydraulic pump (even a Saginaw pump) to achieve the same thing?

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
mudtruck44 said:
A few questions,

Can you just go to the auto parts store and buy a new one? I heard in a previous post that they were like $250 new.

Can they be found in junkyards? I am guessing that they are almost impossible to find.

Would it be possible to connect a starter motor to a hydraulic pump (even a Saginaw pump) to achieve the same thing?
I found one on my third trip to my local PicknPull. It was 38.00.

A starting motor is not rated for constant duty!

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Well, I guess I will check around. Maybe I can find one.

XT6 model, what the hell does that look like? Is it a coupe?

Edit: Just did a web search, you don't see a lot of XT6's. I am thinking that you would have to be pretty lucky to see one in a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mudtruck44 said:

XT6 model, what the hell does that look like? Is it a coupe?

Look for this. Not all of this style had the electric power steering. From what I understand, the XT-6 was a 4 cyl. car that they stuffed a 6 cyl. in and they didn't have room for the power steering pump, so the made it electric and mounted it on the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll post any info on the control unit I find. You may want to open that motor up and inspect the brushes, they last well over 100k miles, and are easy to replace. The bearings are easy to repack, too.

If I can find XT-6 cars in western Massachusetts, you should be able to find them. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything is laid out in the order of disassembly..

Top right pic - you can see the suby rotor on top, toyota rotor on bottom.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Do you know what flow rate it has and what pressure it runs at when running at 100%.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No idea, but it should not be very difficult to bench test it..... I'll post it soon.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Lowrangerider said:
Do you know what flow rate it has and what pressure it runs at when running at 100%.
Good Question!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
The reason I ask is because I was one of the many dumbasses that bought a milemarker hydrolic winch and if this has the same flow rate/pressure or better flow rate/pressure as a stock YJ pump then I would just hook it up so I could run the winch off of the electric and the stock pump could go back to trying to turn big tires. I think it would be cheaper then me buying a new winch... (although I will eventually...)

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Lowrangerider said:
The reason I ask is because I was one of the many dumbasses that bought a milemarker hydrolic winch and if this has the same flow rate/pressure or better flow rate/pressure as a stock YJ pump then I would just hook it up so I could run the winch off of the electric and the stock pump could go back to trying to turn big tires. I think it would be cheaper then me buying a new winch... (although I will eventually...)
I too have a Mile Marker...and I was looking into this idea for the FLOP factor...:D A closed loop system run the winch while on side...

OLD SCOUT....
My thoughts on all that wiring...Is it proportioned to the input? Steering input dicates speed of motor. I do not envision this motor running constant duty, no matter how stout it might seem...

Just wondering.:confused:

·
Registered
766 Posts
As far as I read in the link provided at the top was this is NOT a continuous duty motor. If we used it for MILEMARKER duty we could wire it wide open and it would be fine for the 10 minutes we would be winching. (OK so maybe it would be longer then that with a milemarker... :flipoff2: ) But for continuous use as a power steering pump running 36"+ tires I think you will kill it very quickly.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Harvester of Sorrow said:

My thoughts on all that wiring...Is it proportioned to the input? Steering input dicates speed of motor. I do not envision this motor running constant duty, no matter how stout it might seem...

I know 2 guys that are using the Subaru P.S. pumps. One uses it for a rear steering rockwell and the other uses it as a power steering unit for a Samurai.

Neither of them have had any trouble out of them and the one in the Samurai is used constant duty with 33" tires.

Not sure about volume, but I'm pretty sure pressure was around 1200 psi. That's from memory, so you might wait until someone checks before you quote me on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts