Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an 89 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban.Its 350 TBI had running/idling issues and eventually became a non-starter that I sold for 500.00.

I have a family of four, soon to be a family of five and REALLY like the older boxy suburbans.

I found another one, this time a 75 with a carb'd 454. 2 owner vehicle. I drive a carbed, simple 81 subaru right now, and fully believe in simple cars. Would you say that I'd be happier with the carb'd big block? are they easier to troubleshoot and maintain?

can I expect to break into the 12-15mpg range?

What trans. transfer case would you expect? Th400/np205? its 3/4 ton, so I'd have a 10 bolt up front and a D60 out back, right?

thanks in advance for info.

Also, our first suburban had defunct door locks and windows, and I promised myself I'd never buy an older car with power doors/windows. The simple fact that this one is probably manual everything has me all excited.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my carb'd 350 just barely hit the double digits no way in hell you will see 12 mpg in a carb'd 454 without an overdrive.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
GM did not make any big block 4WDs until the mid '80s, and that was only in K30s. The first big block 4WD Suburban was with the new body style in 1991. Since someone added the big block, the axles and drivetrain could be anything. If it started life as a 4X4, it came with a D44 front and a 12 bolt rear and probably a TH350/NP203.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an 85 3/4 with a carb'd 350/th400/241 d60/14ff with 4.56's currently on 37 mtr's and i get 8-10 on a good day. But i love it:smokin:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
As stated above the big block is a transplant. Stock axles would have been a Dana 44 front and a FF 14 bolt out back. The engine and trans could have been anything from a 350/350/203 to a 350/400/205 just depends how it was ordered. Check the glovebox for the RPO code label or the top of the left fenderwell under the hood. It will at least tell you what you started with, if it is there. I've researched this before and as I recall GM did not start putting SF 14 bolts in 3/4 ton Suburbans until the early 80's. I know for sure it was after they started using them in pickups. You can double check this online by looking for Suburban product brochures.

·
Registered
73 Posts
go with the burb! i love those things and they are easy to work on with the big hood/engine compartment.....carbs are easy to work on and you will have ass loads of room and power.....probly has a th400.....my '86 2wd farm burb does

1 - 9 of 9 Posts