Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was planning on a 3 or 4 link, but after spending a little time underneath it recently, that would require moving one or both of the catalytic converters and rerouting the exhaust to get access to the Inside edge of the frame rail where the upper arm(s) would mount. I can move both the upper and lower control arm mounting points on the frame down lower, but that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to build. There is not really enough room on the outside of the frame rail.

I decided in the end I'm just going to use a radius arm setup. I decided that after I had already started cutting the brackets off of the axle. Oh well, I didn't like how low they hung anyway. I am going to have some sleeves machined up to reuse the stock bushings at the axle. I will run a 3-inch ballistic joint at the frame.

Stock bushing separation at the axle is 7in. More separation means the larger tires have less leverage on the mounting locations, which is good with bigger tires, but it also means less give and possibly limits flex. I'm thinking I will run 8" of separation.

I'm still debating whether to run a bushing or just a solid mount on the top link where it connects to the bottom link. I could make the arms a whole lot stronger and weld them all together if I used a solid mount. By solid mount, I mean a steel sleeve with a bolt through it, so there would still be a short upper arm to allow caster and/or pinion angle adjustments. It would also be cleaner packaging, since I could make it two inches wide, the same as the link, instead of the larger bushing width.

All I have accomplished lately is to get the axle totally cleaned up and ready for new brackets.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does anybody have the dimensions of the steel sleeve that the bushings are pressed into on a front Dana 60 Super Duty axle? I have one of the bushings that I have measured, but I destroyed the steel sleeve getting it out and I'm not sure how much of an interference fit they usually have. I need the spec to get some custom sleeves machined out of some 4" .50 wall DOM tube that I have. It should be somewhere in the 3.341-3.350 range.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Baby steps this week, built a place to mount my locker switch for the rear axle.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Can't find my second switch yet :-(.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts