Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Awesome! I know it's a different part that you're using, but I've had wonderful luck with my Borgeson box in my truck. I may have missed it, do you have plans for hydro assist?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
No plans for hydro assist right now, we'll see how everything feels and holds up. If I don't have enough turning power I'll start looking into hydro assist. If I start eating sector shaft bearings I'll fabricate a sector shaft brace to put it in double shear.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Way too late now, but as dman said, the stock box works great when setup with assist... sucks in stock form though.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
No plans for hydro assist right now, we'll see how everything feels and holds up. If I don't have enough turning power I'll start looking into hydro assist. If I start eating sector shaft bearings I'll fabricate a sector shaft brace to put it in double shear.
That's fair. Before I had a locked front end, the Hydro assist was helpful but definitely not required. When it was welded, it was absolutely required but a selectable locker would probably still be OK if it was unlocked most of the time. It all depends how extreme you want to use the truck, too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Years ago I had a Cherokee XJ on stock axles and 33s with a Detroit in the front that severely needed hydro assist but never got it. It was horrible turning on extreme trails. For the last decade I've been using an '88 MJ on one tons and 37s with a Grizzly locker in the front. It has a stock steering pump and stock Durango steering gear and it turns fine on extreme trails without any hydraulic assist. I never looked into why one worked fine and one didn't, but that's why I was just going to wait and see how it went with the Suburban. I figured since I was relocating the steering gear and building a new steering shaft it was a good time to upgrade the box though. I went through 8 or 9 steering boxes in that MJ because it would eat through sector shaft bearings and start to wobble and clunk. They were all lifetime warranty replacements, but what a pain. The Ram 3500 box has a much thicker sector shaft output than the stock Suburban box.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
I'm messing with steering hose issues now and front driveshaft issues. The stock suburban pressure hose bolts right up to the 2012 Ram 3500 Steering Gear. The stock suburban return hose (steering gear to cooler) is a 3/8 line, the Ram 3500 return port has a 5/8 line and a 20mmx1.5 thread in the box. I ordered a stock Ram 3500 return hose adapter and a separate 5/8 to 3/8 hose barb to change the rubber hose diameter. I tried tig welding a custom hose adapter since I have a welder capable of it now, but I have not developed the skill yet. I gave it a shot and just melted the aluminum away and ruined the first part I tried.

The front driveshaft uses a male 32-spline slip yoke at the transfer case that connects to a GM 3R u-joint, then a solid shaft to another 3R joint. My new axle has a 1350 pinion yoke so I'm working on figuring out a CV shaft that will work. There is not a lot of room for the front shaft, and I'll be measuring tonight to see if there is enough space for a 1350 double cardan joint right there. A 1350 CV joint needs about 5.375" dia of space right at the t-case and 4.5" dia of space where the h-yoke is. Have any of you guys done this, or did you swap transfer cases right off the bat? Or just go without a CV joint? An Atlas is probably not in the budget, but a 271 or 273 might be, I'll have to do some research and see what bolts up easily.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Turns out there was no good way to get a frontdrive shaft to work with the 246 transfer case, so I am swapping to a 241. The 246 didn't even have enough space for a 1350 double cardan joint at the transfer case, and the male slip yoke was awkward and not useful at all.

The electric shift garbage takes up too much space. I had too much angle to deal with to run a shaft with just a ujoint at each end. I bought the 241 today, and ordered a flange output for the front drive shaft that will be here in a few days from JE Reel. They have been extremely helpful and I will be ordering the driveshaft from them once I get the flange installed, the transfer case installed, and get a good measurement.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

81 - 87 of 87 Posts