Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a winch do I need to use for a front suck down winch on my tj? 180lb compression ratio springs. Can I get away with using a crappy 2500lb atv winch??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya, we use a $49.00 Harbor Frieght winch with syn rope,. 2500# works great for the past 3 years...250 rate coilovers...most people use the big winch with a strong hook in front and the small winch in the rear....some of the small winches don't have a drum brake and will not hold tension.....L

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, we use a $49.00 Harbor Frieght winch with syn rope,. 2500# works great for the past 3 years...250 rate coilovers...most people use the big winch with a strong hook in front and the small winch in the rear....some of the small winches don't have a drum brake and will not hold tension.....L

Does the harbor freight winch have enough braking power to hold the tension, or do u have some other setup?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you have the space and can afford it get a real winch. I have some friends that went with the smaller 2500s. They were never happy. Get something that can do both hold the front down and pull you or your buddy out of a bad situation.

My rigs bigger but I run a 10,000 front and rear.

M2C

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have the space and can afford it get a real winch. I have some friends that went with the smaller 2500s. They were never happy. Get something that can do both hold the front down and pull you or your buddy out of a bad situation.

My rigs bigger but I run a 10,000 front and rear.

M2C
I have a 8k winch on the front, Im just not stretched enough in the front to pull on the axle and not screw up my steering components. Too broke right now to go HD steering. So my second choice was a 60 dollar setup suck down. Haha I was just trying to do it Poor mans style.

·
Registered
785 Posts
On my old rig we mounted a HF style winch to my Airshock tower on the passenger side, ran the cable (it was too light and broke, replaced it with synthetic) down to the axle and thru a ring and back up to the Drivers side shock tower.

Worked pretty well and I still had use of my front winch at all times and didn't have to worry about it fraying etc

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you fab a re-direct bar to redirect the front winch line over top of the steering and then down to the axle?
On my old rig we mounted a HF style winch to my Airshock tower on the passenger side, ran the cable (it was too light and broke, replaced it with synthetic) down to the axle and thru a ring and back up to the Drivers side shock tower.

Worked pretty well and I still had use of my front winch at all times and didn't have to worry about it fraying etc
I was contemplating both of these methods. I saw the tower bracket fab on STU offroad. Seems like a decent setup. The redirect bar method may work but I havent gotten a chance yet to look under there and see how much room I have. Thanks for advice.

·
Vendor
1,081 Posts
If you are picking up a winch from HF or something similar do not use their synthetic ropes! Those are meant for a small ATV, quad etc. When you use the rope for a suckdown you end up doing a lot of shock loading while the rig is bouncing around on a trail, this puts a enormous amount of stress on the rope. I would recommend doing a 3/8ths rope or something similar, it will last much longer and you will only need 15 feet or so.

-Alex

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are picking up a winch from HF or something similar do not use their synthetic ropes! Those are meant for a small ATV, quad etc. When you use the rope for a suckdown you end up doing a lot of shock loading while the rig is bouncing around on a trail, this puts a enormous amount of stress on the rope. I would recommend doing a 3/8ths rope or something similar, it will last much longer and you will only need 15 feet or so.

-Alex
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Id like to say that Im only useing this for going up steep climbs, only. Also only steep easy climbs, such as kennys climb and Hummer hill. Im not looking to use it to hold me from being off camber or to suck one side down when trying to go over obstacles. It will only be used on flat surfaced steep climbs. I just dont like the feeling of the front end decompressing once I get fairly vertical.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
HF winch or a center mounted limit strap will be perfect for what your trying to do.

What ever you do please don't mount a 10k winch on the rear. If you really need a 10k winch on the rear of a TJ. You need to find some new guys to go wheeling with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts