Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we have so many Texans here, I figured I'd post this here. I've been seduced by the *sweet* BMW 5-Series seats that a friend of mine is putting on his FJ40, and have decided to try to score a pair of these for my truck. Any suggestions? I need them to be black, that's my only requirement, preferably that high-grade vynil they have but leather would be all right as well. Should I concentrate my search in Dallas and/or Houston? Anyone have any favorite junkyards where these might be easy to find? This is not a super high priority because my stock (modified) seats are decent, but if the opportunity arises I want to take advantage of it.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
there is a place that advertises in the back of "Truck Trader" Mags that claims to have 1000's of seats. I think they are somewhere west of Houston. Might check there.

I will keep an eye out for some 5 series BMW seats next time I head to the yards.

·
Registered
57 Posts
seats

I'll look for you next time I go to the yards. I'll be looking when I go and try to score some nets. It will be later in the week as I have to catch up on some stuff around here. By the way congrats on the residency. I see you have changed your sig line(or whatever it is called). You are a much welcomed addition to this country. How about some Disco seats? It's been a while since I have sat in some?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
What is your budget for these? 5 series BMW seats bring from 3-600 each. I saw a really nice set of M5 seats in a local boneyard and they quoted me $1300 for the pair. I know they are comfy but at least for me they were out of my budget.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They quoted me $550 a seat for the M-series. The reason why is because the are Recaro. Awesome but too high for seats. When I was in Florida my little brother found me a line on some 5 series seats for 125 each. I picked both up for 250 and then I managed to talk the guy out of a 7 series seat for 50 bucks. Grant it the 7 series seat was a little mangled the gears skipped on one side because of the accident. Motor still works. I figured it was a good replacement because now I have spare motors, leather and a seat heater. My 5 series don't have the heated seat. Maybe one day I'll switch them out:)

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'll second the suggestion for watching the back of AutoTrader. Lots of salvage yards advertise stuff there.
I've found lots of nice seats at Pick-n-Pull and the prices are usually dirt cheap, but I don't remember seeing any late model BMW's there. Although they rotate their stock some so it may be hit or miss with finding stuff.
There's a TON of wrecking yards in Grand Prairie near the Pick-n-Pull, most of which are vehicle specific. Come up some weekend and we can go hit some.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, people! I'm definitely not paying a ton of money for seats, this is just a plan to start looking for a seats and buy them for the right amount. Problem is my stock seats are starting to feel their age, they're better than most US-spec seats because they were re-padded in Venezuela by the previous owner, but I'd love to have something comfortable for our long trips. I just mentioned BMW seats because I just tried Alex's, I'm not opposed to other good junkyard seats. Definitely not Recaro, I don't want a racing seat because they were not designed for 15-hour trips, and besides, they're designed for people with less ample behinds than mine! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
What do you think about disco seats?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Henry, Justin, my bud here that has the boneyard got me some sweet seats out of a Isuzu Trooper. lots of adjustments, I love 'em, but I would really suggest you trying the seats out, as each ass seems to have different comfort levels.
Butch

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I put the Trooper seats in a mini truck I had probably 10 years ago. I really liked them. They had the arm rest that folded down. At first I thought I'd remove it as I thought it would just be in the way. After my first trip in them, I decided to keep the arm rest. It was great.

My brother has a 2002 Trooper and the rear seat is really cool, it tilts at different angles for a bit of a recline for the rear passengers. If I still had my 60 I'd look into swapping those into the back seat.

I've done some searching on the BMW seats this morning and I keep finding the $300/each figure pretty regularly.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Definitely not Recaro, I don't want a racing seat because they were not designed for 15-hour trips
Don't discount them all. Recaro seats can be some of THE most comfortable seats on long trips because of their support!. My A4 had recaro's in them, and after a 7500 mile trip in 13 days, my butt was very happy to have been planted in them.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What do you think about disco seats?
I HATE Discovery seats. A few years ago when I actually owned a disco, that was one of my many complaints, the seats sucked.

Henry, you know I'm one of those guys that still drives my cruiser to the trail, even considering driving my 40 the entire 10hours to Rubicon this summer. My seats (Procar Rally's) have been extremely comfortable! Granted, their not M5's but they make the long trips a lot easier.

The only downside is that the Rally's are pretty snug with large side bolsters, at least for larger guys. I fit in them fine with some room to spare but I'm a whisp of a man compared to some.;) You might take a look at them and see what you think. I like 'em a lot! Cruiser Outfitters has a good line on them.

Here they are in my 40.

Here's the web shot of the seat.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I couldn't remember if you ever sat in them. Thought I'd just throw it out as an option. Have you looked at the Steel Horse seats for Jeeps? A guy in our club has a pair in his 40 and they are really comfortable and don't have such deep buckets so you'd probably fit in them fine.

Good luck on the search. When are you gonna make it back out to Utah?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Adam, I tried those Steel Horse seats on Brian Price's lime green FJ40 at CM a couple of years ago and thought they were nice, I'll have to look into those again.

Ahh, Utah.....sigh! :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Thanks, Adam, I tried those Steel Horse seats on Brian Price's lime green FJ40 at CM a couple of years ago and thought they were nice, I'll have to look into those again.

Ahh, Utah.....sigh! :)

steel horse super seats rock you can get them in a cloth cover blk brn or gry VERY nice they also come in blk plether...

dont laugh but goe metro seats are real comphy andCHEAP had a pair in a 40 years ago go them for 20 for both :D look around at cheap cars no body wants them :D

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Henry, you might want to check out some Volvo seats. Both 240 and 740 go into a 40 very easily, not sure on a 60, but I wouldn't imagine why they would be too dificult. I can vouch (at 6'5) they are some of the most comforable seats out there. They are $30 a piece from a place in Vermont :D that has more Volvos than they know what to do with. Rathe's in Colchester. You might have to have a local like Dan :D pick them up for you and put them in a box. Here's a pict of them in my old 40, more or less bolted right up, those are from a 740 model.

I also picked up a full set to make the Volvo in the back ground nice pimp leather from crappy old vinyl, that was $60 for the set too from the same place. Might be worth looking into...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Also, forgot to mention they are really easy to take apart and rebuild. Companies like ipdusa.com sell new foam once they flatten out, and if you get any holes in them they are super easy to restitch. Also all leather models (and most anyways) have a seat heater you can wire into any 12V source very easily with a switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts