Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let the weather wash off all the rubber and the 'slick rock' regenerates with amazing, sandpaper like traction.
All it takes is a few 'churn and burns' to make the same climb a LOT tougher ...

·
Registered
734 Posts
It is always amusing wheeling with ya Jaffer! Good thing you missed most of Saturday, that was a fiasco. Sean isn't my bro by the way, but everyone seems to think that. Last name is Jackass I think :flipoff2: , right Sean? I don't know for sure, but RCAA can't spell it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
TerryHowe said:
It is always amusing wheeling with ya Jaffer! Good thing you missed most of Saturday, that was a fiasco. Sean isn't my bro by the way, but everyone seems to think that. Last name is Jackass I think :flipoff2: , right Sean? I don't know for sure, but RCAA can't spell it.
Terry,

Did you walk up course 9 again just like Supercrawl? Or was once enough for yuh the first time?:D ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
GRIDWNC said:

Did you walk up course 9 again just like Supercrawl? Or was once enough for yuh the first time?:D ;)
Well, I forgot to hit that climb, but I've this was my third trip to Farmington since the SuperCrawl and I've run it a couple times since :D Seems to still work, that stuff is always easier with no cones. No Fear is a lot more dug out than it was during the SuperCrawl and that obstacle Mke Weaver went over backwards on is harder.

See you in St George? I'll bring my own asprin so I won't need any of your super asprins for me.;)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
TerryHowe said:

Well, I forgot to hit that climb, but I've this was my third trip to Farmington since the SuperCrawl and I've run it a couple times since :D Seems to still work, that stuff is always easier with no cones. No Fear is a lot more dug out than it was during the SuperCrawl and that obstacle Mke Weaver went over backwards on is harder.

See you in St George? I'll bring my own asprin so I won't need any of your super asprins for me.;)

God I wish I was going to be there. I can't afford the trip. It looks like I'll miss at least the first two UROC events. I just started a new job in Sept. and can't request time off during the probation period!!:( But I'll be at the last ones. Hopefully they'll comp my room and I'll only have travel expenses again!!:D UROC took good care of me last year.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
GRIDWNC said:

God I wish I was going to be there. I can't afford the trip. It looks like I'll miss at least the first two UROC events. I just started a new job in Sept. and can't request time off during the probation period!!:( But I'll be at the last ones. Hopefully they'll comp my room and I'll only have travel expenses again!!:D UROC took good care of me last year.
That was a wonderful write up and set of pics on SuperCrawl on the 4x4Wire, GRIDWNC.
I know how you feel ... it's great being there up front and personal with a camera but the pay ain't so great... :p

P.S.
Terry ...
Thanks for letting me know when you bring more 'victims" to our area. It IS always fun and interesting ... ;)

And my apologies to Sean...
Stupid me, he doesn't have that $hit eating grin of your's, and THAT has to heredity... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
twistedmetal said:
HEY!!!! Did that fawking Bronco used to be purple?? And is that Toyota in the background owned by a cool, big black guy?
Any chance that Bronc used to look like this:
Brad's Bronco's finish looks OEM ...
and that "big black guy" has been coming down here and 'twisting metal' with Terry for at least the third year now ... :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
But is that the same Bronco, or not? If so....I got words. Not real bad ones, just words. That crew came up here to run the Hills with a buddy and me, and he needed some parts-a simple U-joint cap. I gave him the spare U-joint I had, he said he had a spare, but didn't want to unpack it. Said it was no big deal, he would be right behind us the whole way if I needed it, he would have it for me. We ended up on a mean ass trail, at 9:00 at night, in the rain. After we started gettin' some body damage, they turned tail and went back to camp. They didn't bother to mention it to either of us, and the trail was so tight and so twisty that we didn't even notive they were'nt back there for about 20 minutes. We were haulin ass, as the trail was mostly clay, granite, and waterfalls, it was 49 degrees, and my wife was 5 months pregnant. A tree took my top off and trashed it, we were soaked and freezing, and what do you know? I lost a DS U-joint! It's cool, I got a spare.....SHIT. Ever winched a Scout II on fullwidths and 38s for almost 7 hours non-stop in 2wd? My wife got a cold, I was in the hospital for apparently being very alergic to Poison Ivy, and I broke a cable twice. Some steep as waterfalls! We finally killed the battery, had to walk through the trail-now-a-river for one mile, then stuff us all into a Xcab Ranger(Badass one, not junk!), then get to a gas station and call up Jason Paule at 5 in the AM to bring a trailer to get the Ranger home, and Then I had to get back to my truck the next morning with 1 FAWKING U-JOINT, and drive out. And I am going to blame it all on that one stupid cap. I still had fun, but I wouldn't do it again. The Poison Ivy Shit SUCKS. I hope it all burns. Not to mention the bear sitings about 50 yards from us. That always makes you a little more efficient with a winch!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sean drives the orange Bronco, it was purple. Jacob is the big black guy that drives that Yota pickup. Yeh, we were all up in SD wheeling with you guys, I was driving a red flat fender at that time. I remember your buddy with the Wrangler that wore the army helmet when he drove.

That other truck in Jaffers pix is a Ranger, not a Bronco.

I fouled all the plugs on that rainy night run up Twisted (turned out my fuel return line was pinched) that is why I turned around. It was running super rich and I couldn't keep it running. I think Sean and Jacob turned around shortly after I bailed.

We were camped right at the trail head, next time ya need a u-joint knock on the tent flap :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
twistedmetal said:
We ended up on a mean ass trail, at 9:00 at night, in the rain. After we started gettin' some body damage, they turned tail and went back to camp. They didn't bother to mention it to either of us, and the trail was so tight and so twisty that we didn't even notive they were'nt back there for about 20 minutes. We were haulin ass, as the trail was mostly clay, granite, and waterfalls, it was 49 degrees, and my wife was 5 months pregnant.
So, you were hauling ass on a mean trail after 9:00 on a stormy night with your buddy and pregnant wife and didn't notice the others weren't back there for 20 minutes ... :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:
I'd put the blame more on your bad judgment than a UJoint and the CO gang for that situation ...

Ranger, Bronco ... whatever ... that's why I never do the event write ups.
If it ain't a Jeep ... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Jaffer said:

That was a wonderful write up and set of pics on SuperCrawl on the 4x4Wire, GRIDWNC.
I know how you feel ... it's great being there up front and personal with a camera but the pay ain't so great... :p

Thanks Jaffer! I'm a big fan of Pics, Pics, . . .and more pics! As for pay, there isn't any.:eek: :D It's is totally volunteer. I'm not complaining, I love it, but the money does get low at times and self-indulgence has to be curtailed.;)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Jaffer said:

So, you were hauling ass on a mean trail after 9:00 on a stormy night with your buddy and pregnant wife and didn't notice the others weren't back there for 20 minutes ... :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:
I'd put the blame more on your bad judgment than a UJoint and the CO gang for that situation ...

Ranger, Bronco ... whatever ... that's why I never do the event write ups.
If it ain't a Jeep ... :flipoff2:
First off, I'm pointing fingers with a smile on my face, so settle down....;)
Second, you would have to see the trail, it was a tight, ugly, twisted bitch. When the CO crew was right on my ass, I could barely see them. There was nothing to reflect the lights from their headlights, so no, there was no way for me to know they weren't back there. Finally, Scott stopped and said he could kind of make out EFI problems/turning around. That, and the fact that my trail leader was fawking moving! We ended up in 4-high, 2nd gear(auto), with the 4barrels open most of the way through. Nuthin' like shifting gears up a rock face. That shit got deep quick! There was a spot where I could make out a waterfall about 3 feet tall in my headlights. The ledge was actually about 12 feet in front of me, but the waterflow was hitting my truck. FAST! Cooled down the radiators nicely though! The trail ended up in a ravine about 9 feet across, and 12-14 feet deep. No way to turn around AT ALL!
I was wondering when I would run into you guys again! Jacob was awesome! Poor SOB was scared of everything though! The freak in the Army helmet was my little bro. Crazy kid. He was so pissed he didn't get to run TWISTED. I don't think you guys would have liked the ending. Especially the Bronco and the Toyota. Here's how I ended up at "The Tree." Tried a different line than normal, and didn't go high enough. Ooops. Trashed both rear shackles, blew a tire, shoved the traction bar through the floor, lost a DS, and grew a smile. This was the next morning.

PS-Sorry I'm highjacking a thread here, Jaffer, but I haven't talked to these guys for 2 years. BTW, Terry, My brother thought he heard you guys thought I was a show truck, really?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts