Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are all basically the same but do they work? Has anyone used any of these joints on either their rear or front or both ends of their suspension? Give your oppinions good or bad and why? Lots of hype out there regarding these flexable joints but are they a waste of money or do they work?

IMO on the technical design and purpose is good. They would seem to prevent the leaf spring to not twist as much, which would prolong the life of the springs. Plus with not twisting the spring as much, it seems it should allow the spring to flex better without the bind of the spring when twisted. No actual experience with this joint but just my .02. Give your oppinions or experience.

Any one that has pics of these joints in action on their rigs, post them...

Attachments

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i ran them in the rear at the shackle and while i dont think they did anything for improving flex, they sure reduced the twist on the main leaf and certainly have that potential to increase spring life. seems the rubicon express style would be much easier to asemble, i never got the Cclip in on my Johnny joints and ended up tacking the washer in place which held the whole assembly together on all the trails i ran last year....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, at $75 out the door for a set of 2 from Rubicon Express, do you think they are a waste of money or money well spent?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The orbit eyes have two threaded pieces. For those skeptics(sp?) out there that think the clip wont hold, here ya go. aor4x4.com

The Orbit-Eye's precision-machined, cold-rolled steel ball rides inside a special molybdenum-based nylon socket. Rustproof aluminum spanner nuts secure the ball-and-socket inside a .120-wall steel housing. A.O.R.'s Orbit-EyeTM design is unique and not available anywhere else!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
just installed the AP JJ on my rears. Got the C-clip in by jimmying a press outta a u-bolt and large socket thru the JJ, worked but is tight-ass. Runs great on the street and havent wheeled it so? Let you know soon

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
What about the handling characteristics? I've heard that they are a little noisy, and that you get a lot more sway on the freeway? Is this true? Chriss G.?

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Whatever you do DON'T run them on a front axle at the top of the shackle, street driven or not, you WILL get death wobbles. As for helping flex, they don't help that much at the top of the shackle for a rear application, either. It looks like it in Chris G's pic, but I can almost guarantee you that the body moved sideways from the axle, and it's not actually flexing more than it would with a bushing. It would require a panhard or similar to keep the axle from moving laterally, which could limit travel.

But, if you had a custom spring eye made, or bought Orbit Eyes, they would help tons.;)

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
montezuma said:
What about the handling characteristics? I've heard that they are a little noisy, and that you get a lot more sway on the freeway? Is this true? Chriss G.?
Ask the BTG guys what they think about JackA's orbit eyes. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run Orbiteyes at both ends of my rear springs. After all the guff I read on various AOR threads I expected some handling weirdness but have experienced none. The springs and eyes work great, no wild swaying. Run greasable bolts and you'll have no noise isssues either.

Testing on the ramp didn't yeild any extreme extra flex but the reduced twist on the main leaf has to help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have orbit eyes in the fixed end of front and rear springs. The fronts do not have a greasable bolt and are noisy, the rears I got a greasable bolt and I hear nothing. I just wish I would have gotten a slightly longer spring. The fronts are 48" and 47" at the rear

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts