Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get my new Yukon super joints installed. I feel like a dipshit for having to ask. I'm having problems getting the snap rings in. Not snapped into the cap but just around the cross and into the yoke. I've tried all combinations I can think of, and read the instructions. Tried putting the cross in first, then snap rings. I can get one on but the cross won't slide over enough to get the other on. I've tried putting them on the cross first then putting the cross in the yoke. I am putting them in with the chamfer down like instructions. Shafts are new. Tried 3 different shafts to make sure that is not the problem. Searched a little but but didn't find much. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I just went through this myself. Only way I could do it was to put the cross in first and then the snap rings. Its the backwards way of installing them and it seems like the second clip will never fit in, but just keep rocking the joint back and forth and pushing the clip and it'll slide over the cross.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
You have to put the clips in first with the u joint cross without the caps. While you are installing the joint. Make sure you don't pinch them while pressing the caps on.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I just did this 2 weeks ago. I finally figured out that with mine it worked best to put 1 snap-ring on the cross and then fish the second on after the joint was in the shaft. The only way I could get the snap-ring to slip in was to put the spit end of the ring in first as it allowed the narrowest part of the snap-ring to work it's way past the cross.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did this 2 weeks ago. I finally figured out that with mine it worked best to put 1 snap-ring on the cross and then fish the second on after the joint was in the shaft. The only way I could get the snap-ring to slip in was to put the spit end of the ring in first as it allowed the narrowest part of the snap-ring to work it's way past the cross.
That's how I ended up getting it. Only way the 2nd would go on was to put the narrow end ( where eyes are) around joint where it's chamfered to clear the ears during installation. Which is from the back side b/w the joint and yoke. Slid right in. Thanks for the help.

I couldn't get em to take much grease. I hope I got enough in there. I saw where a few guys had problems galling them due to lack of lubrication. This isn't a d/d so I hope if I grease em every trip I'll be good. Who all has had galling problems?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I got the snap rings on, but cant get them in the groves for some reason, seems like the ears are to close together. I have all the snap rings installed except for the last one, and no good way to bang on the inside of the ear to get it open.

Anyone have any tricks?

·
aka WIZZO
1,462 Posts
i'd say the caps are fully seated on the cross, so the press won't do anything but damage. when i installed my ctm's and superior shafts, i had to take a file to the inside of a couple of the ears so i could get the c-clips to fully seat into the cap groves.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
i'd say the caps are fully seated on the cross, so the press won't do anything but damage. when i installed my ctm's and superior shafts, i had to take a file to the inside of a couple of the ears so i could get the c-clips to fully seat into the cap groves.
Bingo! Guy at yukon said hit them with the flap wheel, did that and they went in. It was more material than i felt good with, about half a snap rings worth, but he said it would not void the warranty so I did it, and I got them together.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
If you are having troubles getting the last clip in, check the yoke ears to see if they are still parallel. These ears can become bent for various reasons, most often improper service methods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts