Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm working on super slick skids.

I've ordered some 1/4" UHMW PE sheet to "skin" my belly skid. I am also mount small blocks of this stuff on the bottom of the axle banjo, and may mount the scraps on the rock rails.

Got the idea from some on a Suzuki King Quad forum (that's my small Zook). Guys are skinning their aluminum plates and this stuff is like riding on grease. The surprise is rocks don't mess with it all that much, and when they wear down, they are easy to re-skin. I'm spending a whopping total of $47 to skin the truck.

To show you the difference, if you put your steel belly plate on a rock incline, and sit on it, well, you just sit there. With the UHMW skin on the plate, it's takes off like a toboggen on a snowy hill.

Thought I'd share, since the search yeilded nada for "UHMW" and "skins". Some have made skids with just UHMW, but haven't seen any skinning or use on rails and such.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, when I removed the AND in my search, I found a couple threads in other forums.

So, anyone running UHMW skid skins? How they working for you? I'm mounting mine with recessed button head S/S bolts. What did you use?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's one of the thread I looked at. He's using UHMW as the plate itself. I'm planning on just skinning my old Tim Porter (Hardcore4x4) plate. Then the idea of a mini skid right on the bottom of the pumpkin came to mind, then the rock rails, then the...

·
Registered
947 Posts
Please post pics of your progress. I'd be interested in the outcome:smokin:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sounds stupid, but can anyone think of an adhesive that would stick to metal and uhmw? Using a thin (3/16 or 1/4 inch) sheet to slide, but using the skid (i have a hardcore 4x4 unit also) as the strength, it seems like it might work. I also have 4x4 angle iron rockers and it would we sweet to put this stuff along the bottom of them too.

Where can you purcase it? I cant think of anywhere around here except for this one place that sells supplies to restaurants? Its cutting board material right?

·
Registered
702 Posts
here is one of the rigs I have wheeled with using it

it does an amazing job of holding up as well as allowing the rig to "slither" over rocks

the only drawback that I have seen is like you said...its like being on ice...IE, all speed and no control whereas with a metal skid there is some resistance allowing you to "aim" the rigs course....

6 of one, 1/2 dozen the other way

:grinpimp:

·
Registered
295 Posts
are you talking about that white industrial cutting board material?

where are you finding it that cheap?

more pics please.
thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I,ve seen the stuff used on a pro mod car, it works good unless your high centered on a side hill at witch time it will scare the crap out of you. :eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
so where are you getting this stuff?

ive got a line on 12" x18" cutting board material. but its pricy compared to that.

more info please, if youve got it.

as far as being too slippery ( bring it on !! :) )

i can always screw in some metal stop plates i guess, but im ready for too slippery !!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
cutting board for 2 $ at safeway and its 3/8 thick 12" wide and 18"long... a small flat belly would be pretty easy
cuts with simple wood working tools so easy to form to what you want
plus some heat and you can really form this stuff

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interstate. A 24x48" 3/8" thick piece (enuff to do 2 trucks) is ~$90 to the door, or under $50 each truck. CHEAP!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cutting board for 2 $ at safeway and its 3/8 thick 12" wide and 18"long... a small flat belly would be pretty easy
cuts with simple wood working tools so easy to form to what you want
plus some heat and you can really form this stuff
Most cutting boards, the cheap ones anyway, are HDPE, not UHMW PE. There is a difference.

But you are dead on with the heat. A heat gun softens this stuff to the likeness of taffy, and hardens when cooled

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also have 4x4 angle iron rockers and it would we sweet to put this stuff along the bottom of them too.
One place on-line (forgot which one) has 2"x2" angle UHMW. This would be awsome on the corners of sliders and bumpers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hmm thats the stuff they make coil spacers out of for track/kicks:smokin:
anybody wanna give me dimensions off their spacers so i can have me a set made?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts