Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Major Steering Problem

Ok, I am a newbie and have been having a major malfunction with the steering on my 85 Toyota.

It seems to be that the the truck constantly wants to pull to the right and when you use the brakes it jars to the right even more.

Since I have gotten the truck we have put 33x15.50x15 Super Swamper TSL/SX's on it and it now seems to pull to the left every once in a while.

We have checked the power steering fluid, it is full. We have been wrenching on it for a few days and just can't seem to get it figured out. Can anyone out there give me some hints?

I would appreciate all the help I can get. I have also tried to search for help but could not find anything...

Thanks!!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm going to guess you still have the stock steering on there?? And it's lifted at least 4"? And maybe you took the torque arm off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about that, I have a 2" inch body lift with a 5 " inch superlift suspension lift. I have an after market draglink assembly. Yes we took the torque arm off as well as the sway bars front and rear. However, the steering was just as bad before we took the sway bars off. It has not gotten any worse sense.

Any thoughts??? Maybe the ball stud is worn on the drag link to pittman arm assembly?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bratt said:
Sorry about that, I have a 2" inch body lift with a 5 " inch superlift suspension lift. I have an after market draglink assembly. Yes we took the torque arm off as well as the sway bars front and rear. However, the steering was just as bad before we took the sway bars off. It has not gotten any worse sense.

Any thoughts??? Maybe the ball stud is worn on the drag link to pittman arm assembly?
Shoulda bought Thornbirds :D

Like 85Trailtoy said - its the tork arm. When you hit the brakes, axle rotates forward, steering turns right. Hook the tork arm back up, extend it if needed (with a Stuperlift you probabley will have to).
And welcome noob :flipoff2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlueCoyote3:
Thanks for the info, seems the main problem is the steering will not recenter itself.

I am a GIRL so please help me out, I may be new at this but I am willing to wrench on it to get it right. We will check the caliper too....

GIRL

·
Registered
779 Posts
Bratt said:
BlueCoyote3:
Thanks for the info, seems the main problem is the steering will not recenter itself.

I am a GIRL so please help me out, I may be new at this but I am willing to wrench on it to get it right. We will check the caliper too....

GIRL
We do not discriminate - we give every noob a some shyt.
that said...What is occuring is that with out the torque arm, the axle rotates forward when you hit the brakes. This causes the truck to turn right. To test my theory - drive backward and hit the breakes hard - truck will go to the left.
The no-center issue is related - with out some (few degrees of positive caster) - search 'death wobble' for too much caster issues) the front suspension does not have enought caster to recenter the wheels, and with the breaks on it has negitive caster. All this leads to scary steering, pulling, etc. Lifted springs with arc only make it worse.
Those with cross over steering do not experiance this issue.

This comes from experaince - my 84's have the exact same symptoms w/o the tork arm attatched.
Your options are - install cross over steering and better springs - big $
or install the torque arm. You may have to cut it in half and sleeve it with some pipe to extend it. There are also extensoin brakets for the axle but have never seen one.
The thornbird commet is a dig - search thornbird for the answer.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
BlueCoyote3 said:

To test my theory - drive backward and hit the breakes hard - truck will go to the left.
Actually, the steering wheel will do as you say, but since you are now going in reverse, the truck will still turn right... Minor point, I know, but I'm bored.:p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I adjusted the steering box and greased the draglink and it seems to perform better. As for the braking issue, I am going to replace the calipers anyways along with brake pads just for shits and giggles...

Thanks for all your tips, I appreciate them. Let me know if I am missing anything else...don't really want to put the torque arm back on.

:D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
If you ae not going to put the torque arm on, at least do yourself a favor and get a spare steering arm, one reason for that torque arm is to help with the shock load on the J-steering arm..

·
Registered
819 Posts
Allright, I was the lucky one chosen to work on bratts truck. Its looks like her main problem was the steering box was adjusted too tight, that was causing the no return to center. The torque rod is staying off, I just pulled it off last week.:D She will be going crossover soon.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Save your pennies and get crossover steering ASAP. About the best $$ you can spend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS J-DOGG I appreciate all your hard work but I was the one that kept tabs on the beer consumed during the process. FAWKER...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts