Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daily driver is a ’98 4runner I’m thinking about putting the TRD supercharger on it dose any one know of a company that makes quality pistons for the 3.4 L? I would want lower compression to run more than 6psi if I go through with it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
head over to ttora.com, there are a couple of guys over there that have squeezed out every last bit of power out of their 3.4s. I don't think you are going to need new pistons, but it all depends on how many miles and how well your truck runs.

You would be much much better served by upgrading the fuel delivery system than re-building the bottom end. Again if your engine is about to tank on you as it is, then a full rebuild, then fuel upgrades and blower would be the next route.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If your just going to bolt it on, don't worry about it. I ran one on my T100 for 2 years. Toyota won't even void your warranty when you bolt one on, that says alot about their confidence level. I ran the 8lb boost pulley on mine and you can get a 12lb pulley.
I did have a problem with gasoline though, periodically you'd get a tank of crap and it would ping like a mutha when you got on the boost.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I helped a buddy bolt his on to a 4-runner. The install is relatively easy.
He was running a FIPK type K&N filter. When at WOT, even with 93 octane, his car was pinging. As it turned out, the oil from the FIPK was getting into one of the sensors in the intake (MAF, maybe - I forget) - and the injectors were not going to sufficient duty cycle. Dyno showed lean, of course.

Clean-up and remove of that filter, truck runs great.
Does require high octane fuel.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hell yes! With all the fuel mods (Fuel pump, FTC, injectors, a few other goodies) and SC add around 60-70 HP. Their is alot of great info out there. Check out to link above. A guy on TTORA just broke the 300 RWHP with a SC fuel mods and water injection!

Right now I still need to do some programming with the fuel map, I'll report back when I get things properly tuned.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dood, the SC is worth it and adding the URD kit is not a problem. Doing the fuel pump is a bitch if your tank is rusty, and if you are scared of wiring, you might have issues adding in the FTC, but really it isn't rocket science and URD sends wiring diagrams for every 5v.

With the kit you can add a smaller pulley without worries and tune it all just the same. I'm in the same boat as Rocktaco, I've got some serious work to do on my fuel maps, but just as it is, my truck pulls like my 2001 Maxima does through the low RPMs and gets down on it over 3500 rpms.

The only downside is always having to use premium AND having a lead foot with the new power.

One word of advice, don't get a used SC unless you are taking it off of the person's truck for them and getting all of the parts you need. I ended up having to futz around trying to get throttle body bolts, a new belt and TB gasket, and had to guesstimate on the cutting of the timing cover which had me using my jigsaw on it while it was on the engine because I needed to cut about another inch off and was too lazy to take it back off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts