Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been mentioned in some of the threads a little bit already. What did you guys think of the trophys?

Randy got this HUGE arse Silver Cup. I didn't see Dean get one (I could have missed it though???).

While I'm not a competitor in this sport I do compete in something way different and when I place I want that big Bling Bling Trophy. I don't get ANY cash so it's ALL about the trophy.

When I saw these ones, my first thought was, "UROC was trying save a buck." Yeah, yeah, trophies are big bucks even for the smallest of ones, but when a team spends far more just to compete in one event, let alone a series over the course of a year, the trophy cost doesn't even compare to what they put out of their own pocket.

So what's your .02 worth guys???

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The cup that Randy got was the supercrawl supermod cup the Larry brought from last year.It gets passed on like the Stanley Cup does in Hockey and they said they were going to forward a plaque with the teams' names on it but they never did for mine. They changed the Legends class to Mod so I don't know if Amy/Steve Bullock should have brought the "Bullock" class cup for Dean on not but they said they didn't get a reminder from UROC so they didn't bring it.
I knew the Superstock cup was safe to leave on the mantel, I doubt they will ever have that class again.Kimber anytime you want to see what's in my cup just come on over.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
raceanything said:
Kimber anytime you want to see what's in my cup just come on over.
I'll be there in 5 minutes Jeff!! :D AND just in case you haven't heard it enough, you did a great job driving in an unfamiliar class with an unfamiliar rig. I was VERY impressed. It made me tingle!:bounce2:

Seriously though, what kind of trophy do you look for. Obviously it shouldn't be something so cheap it breaks in your hand, so taking that factor out . . .
Do you go for the he Big Mamma of all Trophy's? Or would you rather the sanctioning body save a little money and add that to the purse (assuming they would even put the money into the purses!)?

When we were waiting for the awards ceremony to start, there was a few comments to the negative of the trophy quality. Just curious if the competitors feel the same. If you destroy your rig, do you at least want a purdy and huge trophy as a reward to show off, kinda like a battle scar?
:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
UROC has been very clear that the purse is 100% payout of entry fees. Nothing more, nothing less.

The amount invested in trophys is at the discretion of UROC, and comes from straight their from their bottom line.
From what I saw, their investment does not adequately reflect the accomplishment of the winner.

I saw UROC officals wearing polo shirts that looked like they cost more than some of the awards.

Sponsors love pictures of their driver/rig with a biga$$ trophy. Competitors love having something to remember their victory years later, or to show them off to friends and family. We all sacrifice a lot for this sport. When you bring home the trophy, the rest of the family can share in that victory.

The smallest trophy in supercrawl and for each series championship should be a cup no smaller than a foot tall.
We all know what first place should look like :skull:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The trophy should match the accomplishment. I think a nice professionally made piece is important to not look cheasy. UROCs this year did not fit that description, and that along with the fact that they forgot spotter trophies the first event and series trophies, gave the appearence they were saving money in the wrong place. Cal Rocs 2003 trophies were a slap in the face (a 5" piece of tin with a bend in it and painted on lettering) considering payout is "100% of purse -trophies and t-shirts". They had better ones this year. Pro Rocks were nice and overall I like the plaques beacause storage is an issue after a couple years, but I like something big and shiney for the big wins like SC and the series.
One thing is follow through on promisses like when the spotters got missed , would UROC have gotten them their trophies if Goody hadn't reminded them 400 times? And will Rich realy get the other Alcoa trophies out to us like he promissed? It's less of a concern about getting the trophy than it is a signal of whether they're just full of lip service when everone is watching, these are the weather signs we read to determine who the good guys are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Coolest trophies I've ever seen were the ones we received from the very first comp, way back when, in Las Cruces, NM. They were engraved pieces of sandstone/rock, with the competition name and place on it. The sizes were different for the places. I'll see if I can take a pic of it and attach it for ref. Gotta charge up the camera.

Shannon

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
Yeah, I loved Bob Hazel's old trophies:

Frustrating thing about trophies is that if you know someone in the sign-making biz, they can generally do something WAY cooler (as above) in a small sign than a chromed-plastic cup on a saw-dust pedestal, and for cheaper, too.

Randii

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am with everyone about the Trophies. I was dissapointed in them from the first time I saw them at the first Extreme East event. The trophies that ERoCC had in our second year were awesome. They looked very professional and I was jealous that I couldn't have one. You all should start a thread on the UROC forum about this.

·
Banned
30 Posts
We competed in Bob's Warn events in 1999, 2000, & 2001. ALL competitors received a rock souvenir in 1999 & 2000 ( not as big as the winners) and in 2001 we received a plaque. We had a banquet and the winners got the recognition they deserve.
The Warn events were only once a year. I don't know what kind of trophies were handed out when he went to a ProRock series in 2002.

I really like the rock trophies. :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
I’ve never received my 1st place trophy (spotter) for the first St. George event although I'm told it has been made numerous times. Given up getting that one..

My 1st place trophy for UROC Extreme West Modified that we got at Supercrawl is engraved with St. George. :shaking:

2nd place Supercrawl trophy is just a bit bigger than the event trophies.

Disappointed, Yes..

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I Am Very, Very Disappointed, I Haven’t Received My Spotter Trophy For The Uroc St George Either. I Was Always Told It Was Made And It Would Be Given To Me All Year, But I Never Received It.

At Supercrawl A Few Things Bothered Me. There Was Supposed To Be The East Vs West Extreme Class Shootout And There Was Going To Be Money And Trophies For Us.
We Were Told That They Held Money From East And West Season Winnings To Save For A Supercrawl Extreme Purse, But When I Talked To Mark Patey About 3 Hours Before The Awards Ceremony, He Told Me There Was No Money Taken And There Would Be No Purse. He Said There Were Going To Be Trophies Handed Out For The 1st Place Winner Of The Extreme West And East And Overall Extreme Champ From Supercrawl.

Our West Extreme Class Is Missing Over $10000.00 In Season Winnings, I Would Like To Know Where That Money Is? Secondly After Patey Said We Would Get Our 1st Place Trophy, We Waited In The Cold For 4 Hours Wind, Rain, And Threw Everyones Speech To Find Out We Got Fucking Shafted!!!!! I Never Received My Trophy And They Never Even Announced The Extreme Series Champions.

This Is Total Bullshit, I Don’t Think I Will Be Back To Uroc Next Year, I Have To Agree With Tracy's Decision.

Think About It. We Have Countless Hours Spent Building And Repairing Our Rigs, Time Invested Into Trying To Get Sponsors, Taking Weeks And Weeks Of Time Off From Work, Time Away From Family, Put Our Selves In To Danger, And Have Spent Countless Dollars Continuing Forward. Yet We Are Denied The Right To Stand Up And Thank Our Sponsors, Hold A Trophy, Or Take Home The Money We Were Promised. What Are We All Doing This For?

I Am Amazed At The Fact We Don’t Even Get Trophies Let Alone The Ones They Do Make For Us Suck! Natalie Told Us, That Ranch Has Been Making Them Himself To Save Money For The Season. They All Look The Same And They Aren’t Even Engraved To Show Which Event We Won Them At.

I Was In Good Spirits Until Sunday Night. I Had 6 Close Friends Taken To The Hospital, And Was Listening To One Pro And Extreme Competitor After Another Say They Probably Wont Be Back Next Year Or They Just Plain Don’t Want To Spend 40-60k On A New Rig To Win Pennies.
Yes The Trophies Are Pathetic, And So Is The Lack Of Respect We All Receive From Uroc!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
See I knew Rich would come through...That' why we like CalRocs.
I agree that the old Warn nat. trophies were the coolest but not practical for 17 events per year. If anyone has one or two JV 1999 rock plaques for sale I'm buying, my ride left and I never got mine.

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
raceanything said:
See I knew Rich would come through...That' why we like CalRocs.
I agree that the old Warn nat. trophies were the coolest but not practical for 17 events per year. If anyone has one or two JV 1999 rock plaques for sale I'm buying, my ride left and I never got mine.

Can I have the Cup for a few months buddy? :) Winter Run dates are set, give me a call so we can discuss.

Cell # 916-730-3274

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UGET IT said:
Can I have the Cup for a few months buddy? :) Winter Run dates are set, give me a call so we can discuss.

Cell # 916-730-3274
As soon as I'm done seeing if his cup REALLY does overflow, you can have it.
:flipoff2:

Seriously, thanks to everyone that has commented. I overhear things while covering these events and while I'm not sure that they are mentionable in this "story", that doesn't mean it wont be at a later time and in a different format. I also like to get the real 4-1-1 from the guys who are suppose to RECIEVE the trophies, as opposed to taking hear-say coming from a fan or some part of the spectators as gospel.

Kimber

·
Registered
519 Posts
JAKE said:
There Was Supposed To Be The East Vs West Extreme Class Shootout And There Was Going To Be Money And Trophies For Us.

HmMm.. i DiDnT rEaLize THat tHey weRe goInG To do ThiS. WHat wAs The ReaSon MArk GavE foR nOt dOing tHis?

·
Registered
4 Posts
JAKE said:
Our West Extreme Class Is Missing Over $10000.00 In Season Winnings, I Would Like To Know Where That Money Is? QUOTE]

Here is the deal, the idea was to hold back some of the East/West series purse for Supercrawl. The idea was announced at first in the East series final, the drivers didn't like that too much and UROC paid out the whole series purse. There was never anything taken from the West, at St. George the West guys got paid for the whole thing. So there is no missing money just miscommunication. Everyone got paid what they were supposed to. If you have any other questions or problems I suggest you might wanna call the UROC office and ask :)

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Im certain that Mike and I have the coolest rock crawling trophies (other than the SC cups, which are pretty cool, but you don't get to keep them). They are bad ass looking, huge, and weighs about 40 lbs.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the 2002 RCCA series thophy -

:p

I agree that very nice trophies should be expected for series victories. It's an accomplishment that you'll always remember.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts