Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my superior front shafts FINALLY got here. while installing my CTM`s the local crack head decides to stop by to see what i`m up to:bounce2: . i`m out working in my garage.(harmless loser).so while i`m making sure he doesn`t have sticky fingers i go and install a cap without an o-ring.... CRAP!:mad3: :shaking: after cussing out loud crack head keeps giving me bright ideas:shaking: :rolleyes: after telling him to get lost. i start beating it back the other way.now the cap is sticking out about 1/2 in.but can`t get it to come out.tried:vice(just spins out),vicegrips(flattened teeth on 2 quality pair).these freakin caps are hard! any how how should i go about getting this cap back out to put in the o-ring? iv`e thought about pushing it back in then cutting the o-ring and gluing it back together?:rolleyes: ,using some 5200 marine adhesive to coat it?:confused: don`t wanna screwup a $200.00 u-joint. is there a trick to getting these out without screwing them up?(like when you rebuild them?)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I've had good results getting CTM caps out by pressing them as far as I can get them to go in each direction (joint body bottomed on the ear), then pulling the joint all the way into one cap, then stuffing 2-3 1/4" flat washers into the opposite cap, making sure the washers are flat on the cap top (surface the zerk goes into) and pushing the joint again.

And next time, close your garage door... at least my local crackheads won't open doors into somebody else's place. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I had the same problem and I called CTM. They said to use a bolt that fits into the greese fitting and push them the rest of the way out.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I have had luck by grabbing the cap with vice grips and then holding the shaft/cap in the air while hitting the axle yoke with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I had to take mine apart as well, he recommended a bolt in place of the grease fitting. It bottoms out on the cross and pulls the cap out. I forget the size though, just ask him.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had good results getting CTM caps out by pressing them as far as I can get them to go in each direction (joint body bottomed on the ear), then pulling the joint all the way into one cap, then stuffing 2-3 1/4" flat washers into the opposite cap, making sure the washers are flat on the cap top (surface the zerk goes into) and pushing the joint again.

And next time, close your garage door... at least my local crackheads won't open doors into somebody else's place. ;)
don`t even need to get it all the way just enough to get the o-ring in.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i`ll try this tomorrow.i actually thought about doing this i was worried it would snap a grade 8. these fawkers are in there tight! i tried using a punch through the grease hole put could only get it so far before it bottomed out. actually broke one(punch) i hit it so hard.

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
That's a METRIC bolt...

Can't remember the size but a coupla things. 1. You won't screw up the threads on the caps cause they're stronger than the bolt. 2. grind a bevel on the end of the bolt as when it spins down and presses into the grease journal on the u-joint cross, it f's up the end threads, making the bolt tough to remove when you're done. Take off the first three or four rows of threads

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I had the same problem, bolt works, directions that came with the CTM's said what MM size it was.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
lincontaco said:
ive always used a pipe wrench on the cap with the ear in a vice.
i`m a plumber by trade.so i`m used to dealing with corroded/stuck pipes.the pipe wrench just slides off.(teeth won`t bite into cap) going to HD this morning to try the m6 bolt.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can use a socket that fits over the cap and a longer bolt and nut.

Screw the nut on most of the way. put a flat washer on the bolt. Put it through the socket and screw it into the cap. Tighten the nut to draw it out. Won't screw up the threads that way.

quick homemade puller...

·
Registered
862 Posts
good to know...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crawlin'YJ said:
I had to take mine apart as well, he recommended a bolt in place of the grease fitting. It bottoms out on the cross and pulls the cap out. I forget the size though, just ask him.
that worked perfectly.cap popped out right as i started to feel the threads stripping on a grade 8 bolt.:smokin: THANX!

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
GaryTJ said:
You can use a socket that fits over the cap and a longer bolt and nut.

Screw the nut on most of the way. put a flat washer on the bolt. Put it through the socket and screw it into the cap. Tighten the nut to draw it out. Won't screw up the threads that way.

quick homemade puller...
GREAT IDEA!

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
That is a really good idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts