Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you guys who swapped in the supra engine. I just picked up an 87 turbo supra for cheap, for the engine to swap into my truck. The story is the previous ower tried to install a stereo and fried something, now it won't fire. It's got the funky distributorless ignition. The coils are not getting any power but the ignitor is. So somewhere between the ignitor and the coils I'm loosing power. Anyone have any sujestions as to where the problem might be?? According the the schematics the only thing between the coils and power is a noise filter and the ignition switch. Anyone know have knowledge of the wiring of the supra engines and can help me figure this out. I want inline power baby.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check to see if the main EFI relay is being activated when you turn the ignition. On a Supra engine, the ECU controls the EFI relay, and not the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
There is quite a bit more to it than that. Check all your fuses, and go get a manual with a wiring diagram(I use haynes). The ECU depends on all sorts of stuff to give the coil pack power. Not like a distributor and coil. There are two relay circuits for power, the main relay, and the efi main relay. When the ecu has power, it will then turn on the secondary relay. Could be the relay could be bad as well.

Get the manual, and a test probe. Make sure the ECU has the correct power. Don't have the manual with me right now, but later I could tell you which color and which pin. 3 wires should have power though, a thick orange wire, and thin orange with white stripe, and I think a red one, but I am not sure on the last one. If those three have power, then it is somewhere in the engine harness. If those are lacking power, then it is somewhere in the dash harness.

How about this, try to get a code.

Jumper T and E1 on the diag block. Turn the egnition on, and get your code. The codes are in the emissions section of the manual.

Sky, I have been meaning to call that guy, I did talk to him at the last yoats meeting. I have been extreamly busy trying to make enough money to pay my truck payment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.