Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I posted that thread earlier about the pintle hitch.

I am supposed to buy a bobcat trailer tomorrow. it's a 10k gvwr that's in ok shape. could use some paint and being cleaned up. it's only 1,000 bucks. it was inspected last year and it's in good working order, just not super pretty.

I was planning on towing with my 2006 WK (grand cherokee) with the hemi *7400 lb tow rating). I was going to change out the pintle for a ball and run a weight distributing hitch.

I've pulled uhaul trailers before with no issues, but all of a sudden i'm nervous about the surge brakes...

Should i bail? I REALLY don't want to spend another 800-1,000 bucks but if it won't be safe i'll wait... it's just sucking missing all the good wheeling (my rig's not street legal).

any thoughts?

here's the pic of the trailer. it's sat for the last 8 months.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
Surge brakes suck big time, but switching to electric brakes isn't that big of a pain.

I switched my dad's surge brake car trailer to electric brakes for about $400. You can reuse the drums off of the surge brakes, you only change the backing plates and coupler.

www.etrailer.com

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Personally, unless trailers are much higher there than here, I would say you're better off to keep looking.

By the time you replace the brakes, coupler, paint, a few boards, etc...I don't know if it would be worth it.

You can pick up a pretty decent trailer for $1500 around here.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Work lots with Boat trailers and for the most part they are all Surge Brake equipped. Yes Surge brakes do suck in comparison to electric brakes but one thing I have found that helps Surge brakes considerably to not suck as bad, is adding the extra wire (that is wired to the reverse lights to make it a flat 5 harness) with backup lockout solenoid that goes in the brake line. Once you put the tow vehicle into reverse the backup lights turn on and energize the reverse lockout solenoid, that is inline with the surge hitch to the brakes, so that reversing doesn't load up the brakes. You are able to adjust the brakes tighter to the drum as a result so the braking improves. Big improvement on surge but not sure how much extra it would be.

As for the trailer for $1K it would be probably gone out here but trailers out here are always pretty expensive with a car hauler bringing about $2K usually.

·
Registered
16,095 Posts
Work lots with Boat trailers and for the most part they are all Surge Brake equipped. Yes Surge brakes do suck in comparison to electric brakes but one thing I have found that helps Surge brakes considerably to not suck as bad, is adding the extra wire (that is wired to the reverse lights to make it a flat 5 harness) with backup lockout solenoid that goes in the brake line. Once you put the tow vehicle into reverse the backup lights turn on and energize the reverse lockout solenoid, that is inline with the surge hitch to the brakes, so that reversing doesn't load up the brakes. You are able to adjust the brakes tighter to the drum as a result so the braking improves. Big improvement on surge but not sure how much extra it would be.
Surge brakes work fine towing my 3x7000# 36" boat trailer with 12,000# on it :confused:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will they suck specifically with my tow vehicle? And do you guys mean they suck trying to get it stopped or are they more just annoying with the backing up part?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
i think you should keep looking. if you had a proper tow rig the weight of the trailer,pintle,and surge brakes wouldnt be a big deal. in my response on the other thread,i didnt realize the exact size of your tow rig. my apologies,if it was there,i somehow overlooked it,and it changes my opinion.

i think the 2000 lb empty weight of the trailer is alittle much for a grand cherokee. thats about what my trailer weighs,figure with your rig and some gear youll easily be at a 6500-7000 lb or better weight.

while 2000 lbs may be light for the trailers GVWR,your standard 6'10"wide car hauler should way in about 800-900 lbs less than that. my friends old trailer only weighed 1100 lbs.

i think the WD hitch is a good idea for your smaller tow rig,to use the bobcat trailer you have to factor in the cost of swapping the coupler.

i think the surge brakes would prolly be liveable if the trailer was lighter,and the coupler was allready correct.as has been mentioned its common practice on boat trailers.

you should easily be able to find a lightweight 7000 GVWR car hauler for what youll spend on the bobcat trailer and swapping out its coupler.

my 2 cents,for what theyre worth :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the input guys,

I bailed on it. It was cheap but i guess i'll just need to keep saving my pennies for a trailer with electric brakes. I felt bad doing it but had the guy had the title on saturday i would have driven home with it...I guess that's just how it goes. He said he had 20 calls teh first day, so i'm sure he'll have no problem selling.

Thanks for the input

Ry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts