Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys,

I did a search and came up with some results but i'd like to get it all in one place.


1. Who here has run or currently runs 33's or bigger on stock samurai
samurai axles ?

2. What sort of wheeling do you do ( Rocks Mud Trails ) ?

3 What motor are you running ?

4. Are you Locked Spooled or welded ?

5. Is your T case Geared down ?

6. How many times have you broke ?

7. Will you stick with the sami axles?


Your feed back is appreciated. I keep bouncing back and forth between the stockers and toyota axles. I have looked at all the other info on swaps and benefits and down sides. I'm trying to stay low cost as i have gearing and lockers for the sami axles and don't for the Toys. I'd like to hear from your experiences. Personally I'm going to run 456R&p, 6:5:1 t case, 33's with a old 1.3.

- thanks jason

:grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
in an answer to your questions

1--never ran em--went to toy axles right off the bat in an effort to save money dumping in a r/p into a sami axle. The stock toy is 4:11 which is what I wanted in the sami axle, and in putting a r/p into the sami axle--I could do a total swap--which I did and do not regret!!

2--rocks/trails

3--tired 88.5 1.3 stocker on a carb w a header

4--welded rear open front

5--t-case 5:14 Calmini---very nice

6--never--bent steering linkage but havent really pushed it to the breaking limit.

7--I didnt and dont regret it!!

my ideas---get some toy axles (will cost the same as a r/p for your sami axles--get the t-case gears and enjoy--the axles are bombproof on the toy axles w/stock motor and 33's. 4.56 gears may be a little lower than the 4.11 in the toys although you wont regret it---plus its very easy to find a spare third member thats already geared 4.11 for the toys. I personally have an open spare if I get tired of the welded rear (which I highly doubt and recommend you do---well worth the 4 welding rods :D)

alll in all dont wast any more time or money on the Sami axles---they will let you down in the end!

Hope this helps, enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
I ran 33x10.50s on stock samurai axles, and then with birfield rings. I found with the birf rings the breakage is just transferred inside the axle. I broke 2 shafts near the 3rd member with the rings and it was tougher to fish out the broken axleshaft than to just pull them when I just had an exploded birfield.

I canned the stock ZUK axles and run stock '85 toyotas with a Detroit and ARB in front for 2 years with 36x12.50s and never looked back. No breakage and very happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
1 33X10:50s FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW
2 ROCKS & TRAILS
3 1.3
4 LOCKED FRONT & REAR WITH 5:38 R&P
5 4:89
6 NONE YET
7 FOR NOW BUT I'VE GOT A SET OF WAGGYS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
i have run a ford 2.8v6 for the past 3+ years, no axle breakage yet(but i break the hub bolts occ.). i just installed a ford 4.0, so we will see how long they last now. i have 33x12.50 swampers, i run mostly mud/trails with a very heavy right foot. no current plans to swap in heavier axles, but if i start to break them i will. rear locker, open front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
i run 35s with a mini spool in the back. these are rather non aggressive tires (bajabelts in the back and ground hawgs up front). I'm running the 5.14 t-case gears and broke 2 back axles ( one on each side). Once while the fender was stuck in the fender ( i only have 5" of lift) and one this weekend when i fell off of a 3ft tall dirt cliff with all weight going on that tire, needless to say it did roll. I will not go toyota axles, reason being one of my buddies has them under his along with 35s andI will go further. As far as terrain goes, this is strictly a mud truck. I however do plan on going to the sidewinders front and back over the winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I am pretty light on the skinny pedal and while I have done a few 4+ Moab trails, I won't likely be doing much hard core wheeling. With that in mind, I'm running 33's on zuk axles and do mild wheeling mostly on rocks. I have a 1.6 16v, 4:57 r&p, 5.89:1 tcase, lockrite front with birfield rings, open rear. I went through u-joints like candy for the first few trips until I upgraded the d-shafts but have yet to break axle parts.

With my current investment in r&p's, locker and back spaced rims, I intend to upgrade the zuk axles as they break. But if I was starting from scratch and could find the right axles ('85's with 4:11's), I would probably do Toys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
I ran33 bfg's in the rocks with spring over, stock motor, g.r.s.2 from petroworks, welded rear open front, broke u joints on a regular bases, fabbed a anti wrap devise, was workin good, then bam, rear axle snap, toy axles are going in now with 37's and toy springs. We will be jammin.

bob

www.extremewheelers4christ.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I was running 31's mini spool and 5.14 gears in the tcase. I broke a rear axle and am moving to toys. JC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Stock axles are junk unless you don't plan driving it when done there very good for the after market people they love it when we have threads like this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Tripower38 said:
Your feed back is appreciated. I keep bouncing back and forth between the stockers and toyota axles. I have looked at all the other info on swaps and benefits and down sides. I'm trying to stay low cost as i have gearing and lockers for the sami axles and don't for the Toys. I'd like to hear from your experiences. Personally I'm going to run 456R&p, 6:5:1 t case, 33's with a old 1.3.

- thanks jason

:grinpimp:

maybe you could sell the gears and lockers for the sammi , and buy yota axles and either lockers, or weld them.

got my yota axles for $200 (a week after i bought them, found a set with 5.29s for the same price), souldnt be that hard to pull off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
zukmonster said:
maybe you could sell the gears and lockers for the sammi , and buy yota axles and either lockers, or weld them.

got my yota axles for $200 (a week after i bought them, found a set with 5.29s for the same price), souldnt be that hard to pull off.
phhhhh,got mine for 20 bux. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,241 Posts
33x13.5's
loc-rite front, welded rear
5.12's diff's, 4.10 T-case, Rock-Block
wheel rocks, mud, what ever the trail has...
not broke anything yet (until just now.. :laughing:)

Personally, I won't upgrade to Yota's just cuz I wanna keep my rig as much Suzuki as possable. Nothing against the guys that do run them, but just me personally, I won't.
If I do break anything, I'm switching to Newfields in front and haven't decided on the rear yet. Guess we'll just waite and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
I ran SS LTB 33X13.50 with birfield rings and broke one birf on the first trip.-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
1. 33x14.5x15 Boggers
2. Rocks
3. 1.3(AAP) stock carb, winds to 7K with no issues
4. Lockers F&R 5.13's
5. GRS2 4.89
6. fronts everytime, no rears
7. No, will sell and upgrade to Toy's and 37's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
1. 33x12.50 bfg muds.

2. Whatever is on the trail, Most TX trails have a mixture of rocks mud and dry dirt.

3 Toy 20R with a RV cam, with an auto to a Samurai Tcase.

4. Welded front and rear.

5. Not when i still had Sami axles.

6. At least one per trip, last trip I broke 2 fronts and one rear, about 10 shafts in this rig altogether.

7. No, I swapped in a Fullwidth 10bolt/12bolt combo.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
I run 33x12.50 Swamper SSR's on stock axles. No gears in the axles byt I have a 6.4:1 Tcase and am locked front and rear. No breakage yet but I have only been out twice. If you are light on the gas you won't break anything. I wheel rocks, mud and trails. I really like the rocks though.
-Pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
purevil71 said:
33x13.5's
loc-rite front, welded rear
5.12's diff's, 4.10 T-case, Rock-Block
wheel rocks, mud, what ever the trail has...
not broke anything yet (until just now.. :laughing:)

Personally, I won't upgrade to Yota's just cuz I wanna keep my rig as much Suzuki as possable. Nothing against the guys that do run them, but just me personally, I won't.

If I do break anything, I'm switching to Newfields in front and haven't decided on the rear yet. Guess we'll just waite and see.
Zuk and Toy axles are both made by Aisin, hence the same design, I just consider the toys a heavy duty version of a sammi axle.
That is what I had planned, and so far I have not heard of any broken Newfields, but was not to confident in the Calmini axles that are only 30% stronger than stock, so I bit the bullet and got a set of toys. JC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,241 Posts
JCC said:
Zuk and Toy axles are both made by Aisin, hence the same design, I just consider the toys a heavy duty version of a sammi axle.
That is what I had planned, and so far I have not heard of any broken Newfields, but was not to confident in the Calmini axles that are only 30% stronger than stock, so I bit the bullet and got a set of toys. JC
Well JCC...when ya put it that way....lol
Been talking to Figmo about his Newfield kits. IF I do swap, it'll be from them.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top