Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all yes i am a newbie but i am also just a senior in high school. I searched this topic several times without ever finding the true answer that i am trying to get. I am building my cj-7 right now and am swapping in dana 44 flat top front and dana 60 rear. I am also doing shackle reversal in the front. now my ?. I am running 35 mtr's and a 1 inch body lift. The suspension is what is stopping me right now. Im thinking Soa on stock yj springs or Re 1.5 Soa springs. I read somewhere about the holbrook kit that comes with longer springs while providing good flex. But im not sure it will flex as well as soa. I have the traction bar and other things taken care of already. I dont want to go much bigger cause its a DD and i already considered 40440's but want the gas tank to stay and thats pretty tall right now. I am ordering All Pros shock hoops for the front but what about the rear. Should i build some outer shock hoops of run the shocks into the tub. any pictures of these setups or advice would be great. Thanxz guys and HAMMER DOWN

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I have'nt seen the Holbrook springs discussed here. From what I remember of the mag. article, they sound very similar to Dodge Dakota rear springs. They only have about 2" lift, so you would have to put them SOA for 35's. The "kit" is probably much more expensive than buying Dakota's from JCW & peicing the rest together or fabing them yourself. They should give excellent flex - a good anti-wrap/traction bar would definately be required.
66CJDEAN runs the Dakota's SOA & they work great. Try searching his username & Dakota springs.

Either YJ spring are good choices. You do'nt seem too concerned about cost, so i'd sat go w/ the RE's.

Stock 7-leaf Waggy's SOA from JCW (rather than the 44044's) are also a good choice. They do'nt necesarilymove the axle, it just depends which way you put the long end. Then you have the option of turnig them around later.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to flat fender the front so rubbing shouldnt be the issue and the rear is gonna be tj flares. I dont eally understand dakota springs. How much offset are they. I dont want to go really really big right now. My last lift was 4 inch junk 2 inch crap shakles, and my one inch body. The 35's fit about perfect even with stock flares. I still need some ideas for shock hoops also. I know my shocks need to be long to let this leaf sprung beast flex. Anymore ideas fellows.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
tires hitting top of your flat fenders aren't going to be the problem, it's going to be the back of your fenders, in the wheel well. when you put your shackle in the rear, the axle move to the rear rather than the front.
Are you running wide tracks or narrow tracks? On a narrow track, your 35's will hit the frame and spring on a full turn.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im running a 44 front and 9 inch rear that are about 62 inches wide. The front axle with the shackle reversal will move forward about 2 inches..DO you think i will need anymore than that...Also still i am at a loss for ideas on shock hoops..Im thinking all pros are my best bet for the front

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've built two rigs for buddies the last 2 winters, both have used the r/e 1.5 spring over spring with shackel(SP?) reversals. Both work great in the woods and one the road with no problems. Are the toy springs a centered pin design or offset?

·
Registered
353 Posts
why not check into a set of F-250 front shock mounts for the front. THey are about 18$ brand new from a Ford dealer. They are cheap and will give you the ability to run a long shock in the front.

As for the rear run them on a angle to aanother cross brace you can weld in yourself then you can set the lenght according to how you put them on the crossbrace
o/\o kinda a crude pic but do you get the idea the o are you rear tires the other things are your shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
You got some good advice going here.

Ford front shock mounts, several web sites with how to.

On my CJ-7 there is a crossmember at the top of the rear wheel curve made from 2" angle iron. One side is in line with the shocks and has two holes drilled near the middle. So you lean the shocks towards each other and can fit a taller shock.

If you go SOA, and stay with a flat spring like YJ or RE, shackle reversal is fine and 2" forward is plenty. The axle will not move back, only forward as the spring arches.

I'm removing my SOA stock axles and going with Holbrook SUA D44 and D70. Yeah, I know, I should post this on JU. :flipoff2:

According to Holbrook, shackle reversal became popular due to SUA lifts, which took camber out of the axle and made them wander on the hiway. Their springs move the solid mount 10" towards the center of the Jeep, putting the axle mount on the curve, which adds camber. Good ride, no wander, but it could mess up your driveline angle. Enter Waggy axle with a lot of pinion angle. Should work fine.

Holbrook is a good way to go if you want to stay SUA, say because my waggy D44 is already set up that way. Problem is, only 3" lift and not set up to outboard.

I want 35's too, so I ordered 4 of their rear springs, this gives me 1/2 inch wider front and and extra inch of arch, so I'm hoping for a 4" lift. I'll have to mess with the rear to get it level.

As for outboarding, I had Wagoner Machine make me up an outboarding kit that will take the 2 1/2 spring. This is not a shackle reversal. Holbrook does not recommend shackle reversal as several customers didn't have enough driveshaft travel and cracked their transfer cases. Idiots and flex don't mix.

The Holbrook springs are pricey, but very well made with Military wrap. I fully expect them to flex as well as standard length CJ or YJ springs in a SOA configuration. I don't expect them to flex as well as, say, Dakota springs SOA.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yah i was thinking alot about. I plan on have new driveshafts made to accomidate the extra travel that i will be needs.. I was thinking about the avalanche enineering full size kit. Seems like a good way to go for full width and shackle reversal. How much lift are dakota springs gonna give me and im only wanting to run 35's right now. Are they offset really diffrent then cj springs or whats the deal with those

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
OK, you just stepped over the line, SEARCH before you ask.

Going from memory:

CJ-7
22.5 + 22.5 = 45"

YJ
23 + 23 = 46"
-1 inch lift

Waggy
22.5 + 24.5 = 47"
1 inch lift, except 44044's which are 3-4 inch lift

Dakota
23 + 33 = 56
Don't know, they look pretty flat on 66CJDean's CJ-5

Holbrook (rear)
22 + 32 = 54
3 inch lift

Point being, Dakota, YJ and HD CJ rear springs provide lift mainly because they are used SOA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.