Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
missingmy84toy said:
looks good, what air bags are you running?
Working on a design to run 4" dia. 13" stroke air cylinders with coil over shocks. Guess I might have to change my sig.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GOAT1 said:
where are the radius arms? Radius arms Rule!!!!!!!!!!:)
I know, I wanted to run ford C bushings and tractor joints, but this cal poly guy told this link suspension thing would work way better.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TNToy said:
Move the frame-end of the lower links up about 3 inches. You want the instant center about a foot behind the CG. Really. :flipoff2:
Why ?
What handling characteristic would this improve?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Air Bag said:

I know, I wanted to run ford C bushings and tractor joints, but this cal poly guy told this link suspension thing would work way better.
LOL Now thats funny!!!:D

So how dose your coilovers differ from say a race runner?? A 4" diam. seams really big!! Got any pics of them? Sounds interesting:grinpimp: :smokin:

CJ

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am looking at running the standard coil over shock parallel to the air cylinder. Like a dual shock set up. The air cylinder would be there to increase the spring rate or pull the suspension in.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
OK, that makes sence! So the air unit would be used like a air bag but with ability to compress the suspension like a hydrolic.I was thinking it was all one unit!! I would asume that the air units arnt as harsh as hydrolics??

CJ

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Air Bag said:

Nice, Mike.......... The geometry looks GREAT!!! Seperating the upper chassis mount did the trick.

·
Vendor
3,744 Posts
Looks good overall, the only thing I noticed is that there is not much seperation on the rear upper links, but the lower links converge alot also, so they will share some of the side load on the axle. I have seen a few vehicles with shallow angles on their upper links that wear out heims and bushings rapidly, some have even broken the frame mounts (some of Leduc's handywork). The front might have the same problem unless you are using a panhard bar. Another result of this situation is the side deflection of the axle, the rear will not be as big of a deal, but you will lose steering preciseness in the front.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rear uppers are 22 deg. and the lowers are 33 deg.

Front uppers 20 deg. lowers 47 deg.

Steering is full hydraulic so no load from the steering box just cornering.

What would you consider minimum link angles using RE joints?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts